Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Is tech.db a must if I want to create a tool that scans an existing layout created by Virtuoso Layout

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Is tech.db a must if I want to create a tool that scans an existing layout created by Virtuoso Layout 

Last post Fri, Nov 16 2012 11:22 AM by Sahar Afara. 4 replies.
Started by Sahar Afara 16 Nov 2012 01:56 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 701 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 16 2012 1:56 AM

Is tech.db a must if I want to create a tool that scans an existing layout created by Virtuoso Layout Reply

Hi,

I am creating a tool that scans existing layout files created by Cadence 6.1.5 Virtuoso Layout to read the layout in OpenAccess. Is it a must that I have the tech.db file in order to run any application built with OpenAccess APIs ?

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 16 2012 3:52 AM

Re: Is tech.db a must if I want to create a tool that scans an existing layout created by Virtuoso Layout Reply

This is a better question for the OpenAccess forums on the Si2 website.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:28 AM

Re: Is tech.db a must if I want to create a tool that scans an existing layout created by Virtuoso Layout Reply

Thans Andrew.

Yes, true. 

I wanted to know what is the difference between the cds.lib and libs.def file. I am still new to Cadence and sorry if my questions seem basic.

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:19 AM

lib.defs is the OpenAccess standard way of describing where libraries are. It is based on the syntax of cds.lib, but only a subset of cds.lib syntax is supported. Cadence tried for some time to keep the two in sync, but nowadays we only read the cds.lib (via a special OA plugin that can also be used in other applications; this is covered in the documentation). It's possible to generate a lib.defs from cds.lib using the library path editor (both graphically and from the command line - see "cdsLibEditor -help") if you want to use an OA executable without using the cds.lib plugin.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 11:22 AM

Thank you very much for this explanation. I got a little confused by these 2 files because I generated an OA database using str2oa from a GDS file and found lib.defs. I then received a layout of H-Bridge that I need to use for my tool that only had cds.lib and wasnt sure if my conversion example from GDS was correct (although I ahd done some small traverssals using OP APIs on it).
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Sahar Afara at 16 Nov 2012 01:56 AM. Topic has 4 replies.