Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Help and apologies...

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Help and apologies... 

Last post Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:28 AM by oldmouldy. 3 replies.
Started by springdene 12 Nov 2012 07:40 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 623 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:40 AM

• springdene
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 12 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90
    Help and apologies... Reply

First, apologies if this is in the wrong area...

Question.

I am attemtping to follow the online tutorials for the creation of component symbols and importing a csv file of a component i wish to create. There are 3 columns, Name, Type and Pin.

The issue is that every time i attempt to import the data, i get the message saying i have to change to the Xl license option. However i am reliably advised that this is not necessary as it only provides additional features and should not prevent me being able to import the files. However i cannot proceed beyond this point.

Please could someone confirm either way and point me to the correct area if i am in the wrong location

Kind Regards

John

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Nov 12 2012 8:20 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,408
    • Points 24,030
    Re: Help and apologies... Reply
    If you are trying to create a Allegro Design Authoring / Design Entry HDL symbol from a CSV using the csv2con utility, a PCB Librarian Expert (XL) license is required. This functionality is part of the PCB Librarian Expert product and, as such, requires the appropriate license to enable it.
  • Mon, Nov 12 2012 8:44 AM

• springdene
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 12 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90
    Thank you for the quick response.

To be perfectly honest I am unsure of the correct terminology, other than I am following the tutorial. It makes reference to the XL license requirement so logically I need it. However, and this is where it becomes a little tricky, I am working collaboratively with colleagues overseas (who are unaware as to why I am encountering this problem). They insist that they do not use the XL license, claiming it is unnecessary (nice  to have) to import csv files and create symbols. So the question is, is there a way that they might be exploiting that works but is ‘archaic’ or not as elegant as it might be?

Thanks

One other thing, rather than clutter up the forum, and judging that you work for Cadence, can I PM you?

John
  • Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:28 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,408
    • Points 24,030
    All of the *2con utilities for Allegro Design Authoring / Design Entry HDL need an "XL" license, if you search the help for "csv2con", for example, you will see that the command line requires "-product pcb_librarian_expert", this might be a "nice to have" in many cases but this license is a requirement for the Text to HDL symbol import utilities.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by springdene at 12 Nov 2012 07:40 AM. Topic has 3 replies.