Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > anyone successfuly installed OrCAD Capture CIS 16.6 with CIP?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

anyone successfuly installed OrCAD Capture CIS 16.6 with CIP? 

Last post Wed, Feb 20 2013 7:59 AM by WaltP. 11 replies.
Started by bill f 06 Nov 2012 11:59 AM. Topic has 11 replies and 5545 views
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:59 AM

• bill f
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 6 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 95
    anyone successfuly installed OrCAD Capture CIS 16.6 with CIP? Reply

Our CIP schematic symbols are not showing up.  Just the ones in the supplied library.  Everything works fine in 16.3 but we are trying to get the upgrade done.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:35 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170
    Re: anyone successfuly installed OrCAD Capture CIS 16.6 with CIP? Reply
    This is a generic issue with new installs, user libraries and CIS installations. You need to get the [Part Library Directories] section from your 16.3 Capture.ini file and copy this into the 16.6 Capture.ini - this is now stored at %HOME%\cdssetup\OrCAD_Capture\16.6.0 Close Capture CIS while you make the changes to the INI file. Setting [Part Library Directories] is doubtless covered in the CIP installation documentation, although the directory location for Capture.ini will differ for the 16.6 release. The EMA folks or your Cadence Channel Partner should be able to assist if you can't get this going from these instructions.
    • Post Points: 35
  • Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:52 PM

• bill f
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 95

I am assuming that you are speaking from generic experiance with upgrading OrCAD and have not actually done the 16.6 one.
    We have copied the appropriate lines in the Capture.ini file. 

Our Channel Partner is also being stumped by this one so far.  That is why I was asking if anyone has actually done it or seen this issue.  Just trying to open up another channel of knowledge.

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:32 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170

Yes, and no, this configuration is fundamental to CIS, CIP just rides on the back of this. Just copying the Capture.ini file might not be too great an idea since the contents do change from version to version. From my standpoint, I would delete the Capture.ini from the new 16.6 location and let Capture rebuild a default, close Capture down, then copy the [Part Library Directories] section from the previous (16.3) Capture.ini and paste those entries into the newly created Capture.ini file for 16.6.

We are running CIP-E 4.002.0015 and "this just works" with our 16.6 installation.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:51 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,415
    • Points 24,170

OK, if you are running CIP 4.3, 4.003.0002, it seems to default to the "old" INI file location within the product installation. When Capture starts, check the INI file location that gets written to the session log, for now, this is the INI file that you need to get configured for your libraries. I guess that an update to CIP will be issued to get the 16.6 INI file locations supported.

Update: Too many chefs at the pot! The user "hacked" a 16.5 shortcut to reference 16.6, as a consequence, this picked up the INI file from the installation since the shortcut had a "-i <INI file in the installation>" switch. Therefore, I don't believe that there are any issues in this regard with the CIP installations, apologies to the EMA folks for any implied failing on their part.

• Mon, Nov 12 2012 1:07 PM

• sharpe65
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 23 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I had this same problem and was led to this thread from a google search. This line "this is now stored at %HOME%\cdssetup\OrCAD_Capture\16.6.0 Close Capture CIS while you make the changes to the INI file." in the quoted post was exactly what I needed. However, I was confused by the %HOME% part of that file location and still had the same problem. So, if anyone else comes across this and is confused as I was, %HOME% in my case was "C:\SPB_Data\". Then, the rest of olymouldy's post is exactly correct.

So, to sum up: (in my case) my capture.ini file was located here: "C:\SPB_Data\cdssetup\OrCAD_Capture\16.6.0"

Hope this helps anyone else who may have seen olymouldy's post but was still slightly confused.

• Thu, Nov 15 2012 7:21 AM

• bill f
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 95

I am not trying to dis oldmoldy but we have tried all those things and this version is just being very weird.  Our Channel Partner is also stumped with this and has asked Cadence for help, but they don't seem to be responding.

I like the way you only need admin access to do the first install on the computer which then installs an "all user" configure program so that the actual user does not need admin access.

However something is flakey in Cadence's programming.  I removed all copies of the Capture.ini, including all backups and renamed copies from the computer and networked locations it could go to, then started it regenerated the current version with directories listed and the most recent files I had accessed.  It got it from somewhere that Cadence is not telling its partners about.

Looks like I am going to have to uninstall it and install 16.5 until someone from Cadence decides to come up with an answer.  The person needs that computer to be useful.

• Thu, Nov 15 2012 9:29 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,211
    • Points 19,710

I would recommend talking to EMA. They are responsible for CIP-E. I do have 16.6 and CIP-E v4.3 working.....

• Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:33 PM

• bill f
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 95

The CIP-E was not the issue, just included that for completeness of the system spec.

Did finally get the problem solved in a couple minutes when we FINALLY got a CIS database person involved.
    All the right lines were in the CAPTURE.INI file but the order of looking at directories was the problem.  It needed to be opposite from what the first technician thought.  He had passed it to Cadence for an answer but they never responded. 
    It took a call to customer service to complain about an important issue (it would have been critical if we did not have the old installation on a machine that was being replaced.) taking weeks with no action. 

• Tue, Feb 19 2013 9:58 PM

• sunscocool
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 20 2013
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

Capture.ini has two locations ,one is in folder  :\Cadence\SPB_16.6\tools\capture\ Capture.ini  the Second is in :\Cadence\SPB_Data_16.6\cdssetup\OrCAD_Capture\16.6.0\Capture.ini

Compare the two files you can find that  the second capture.ini file is more detail than the first one. you can backup the first capture.ini file and then delete it.then open the capture CIS you can find in the session log that the capture CIS use the second Capture.ini automaticlly.

in order to let capture CIS know where my library is and constraint 

[Part Library Directories]

Dir0=D:\XXX\

in  :\Cadence\SPB_Data_16.6\cdssetup\OrCAD_Capture\16.6.0\Capture.ini before [Application] line

then save the file and restart capture CIS everything works fine.

Good luck! 

• Tue, Feb 19 2013 11:32 PM

• Ejlersen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 28 2008
    • Aalborg, Copenhagen
    • Posts 569
    • Points 10,080

Hi

Whenever Capture starts it writes the capture.ini file location to the session log, so that's import to look for.

Another method is to open the command window and write GetIniPath.

I would also consider

Whenever you need to go into Capture (CIS) configuration on a company wide basis with version independent setup, you could take a look at

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=da&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnordcad.dk%2Fdk%2Fteknik__service%2Fe-service%2Fe-service_nr_138.htm&act=url

There's also a pdf document in English on that page. 

Best regards

Ole

Best regards Ole
  • Wed, Feb 20 2013 7:59 AM

• WaltP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 19 2009
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40
    Hi Bill,

CIP and 16.6 are fully compatible and tested.

Please let us know should you run into any specific configuration issues or enhancements  going forward.

WaltP

EMA
    Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by bill f at 06 Nov 2012 11:59 AM. Topic has 11 replies.