Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > photoplot outline for complicated, imported board outline shape?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

photoplot outline for complicated, imported board outline shape? 

Last post Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:55 AM by mfris. 5 replies.
Started by mfris 06 Nov 2012 11:07 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1467 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:07 AM

• mfris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 18 2012
    • Durham, NC
    • Posts 20
    • Points 440
    photoplot outline for complicated, imported board outline shape? Reply

Hi everyone,

I'm going through the process of generating manufacturing files.  Step 1 appears to be to add a photoplot outline.  To create the outline,  I relied on someone using a mechanical CAD tool to generate my board outline - I imported that outline as a .dxf file and assigned it to the Board Geometry -> Outline layer.

I'm trying to re-import the same .dxf file now and assign it to the Manufacturing -> Photoplot_Outline layer.  I get a message saying that the import was successful, but I can not see the photoplot outline.  I've tried moving the cursor over the outline, deleting the board outline, but it just doesn't appear to be there.

How do you guys handle the board outline photoplot for complicated board outlines?  I'm assuming that it is necessary for the shape of the photoplot to match the shape of my board outline exactly - is that correct?

Any help is appreciated.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:43 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,410
    • Points 24,055
    Re: photoplot outline for complicated, imported board outline shape? Reply

Don't use a Photoplot Outline! The worst thing that happens is that you get a warning that you don't have one and the drawing extents (page size) will be used instead when the Artwork gets generated.

What happens if you DO have a Photoplot Outline in the board is that you won't get ANY Gerber / output data generated for design objects that are outside of the Photoplot Outline, like NC Legend, Drawing borders, Assembly Notes, Cross-Section legend and so on. (AND if you DO have a Photoplot Outline and change the board extents, you will be forced to jig with the Photoplot Outline again.)

• Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:10 PM

• mfris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Durham, NC
    • Posts 20
    • Points 440

Thanks for the quick response.

I was under the impression that a photoplot outline would be required for a board fab house since the true board outline in my design would not be captured in the manufacturing data (for reasons I don't undertand).  Is that impression wrong?

Can you tell me what a photoplot outline is, and how it would be used?  I'm more than happy not to deal with it if it isn't necessary - I really just want to assemble all necessary files to send to a board fab house for quote, so I'm looking for the fastest/easiest path to do that.

Best Regards.

• Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:40 PM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 876
    • Points 13,500

Think of the photoplot outline as a clipping / limiting window.  Only Gerber that lands in the window is generated.  Not normally needed.

Can be handy in a *few* cases...

• Wed, Nov 7 2012 3:30 AM

• Padmaster1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 1 2009
    • Meridianville, AL
    • Posts 7
    • Points 185

I use a drawing format on all of my designs so I embedded the photoplot outline into the drawing format symbol. I made the photoplot outline the same as the outer border of the drawing format. I comes in with the drawing format symbol so I don't get any warnings in the gerber output.

• Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:55 AM

• mfris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Durham, NC
    • Posts 20
    • Points 440

Awesome - thanks for the help everyone.  It's nice to have a better understanding of what the elements actually do instead of blindly following an example instruction sheet.  For me, it sounds like it is not needed at all, and in the case where it might be needed, a simple rectangle capturing all of the design is all that's needed (as opposed to matching the photoplot outline to the board outline).

Thanks again.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mfris at 06 Nov 2012 11:07 AM. Topic has 5 replies.