Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > mechanical alignment hole not showing properly in 16.5 PCB Editor (look ok in 3D view)

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

mechanical alignment hole not showing properly in 16.5 PCB Editor (look ok in 3D view) 

Last post Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:37 AM by mfris. 3 replies.
Started by mfris 19 Oct 2012 09:19 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 1117 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Oct 19 2012 9:19 AM

• mfris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 18 2012
    • Durham, NC
    • Posts 20
    • Points 440
    mechanical alignment hole not showing properly in 16.5 PCB Editor (look ok in 3D view) Reply

Hi everyone,

Amateur user here.

I created a couple of footprints with mechanical alignment holes that go through the PCB (I also created the padstack that defines the holes).  As far as I can tell, everything looks fine for the various holes while in the footprint editing mode.  When I bring the parts into PCB Editor to place the part, I can see a shape in the area where the holes should be, but none of the shapes are the right size and I'm able to route in the area without a DRC.  When I switch to the 3D view, the hole shapes appear to be the right dimensions.

Any thoughts on what I need to do differently to get the holes to show up in PCB edit mode?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards.

• Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Oct 22 2012 1:42 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,054
    • Points 16,990
    Re: mechanical alignment hole not showing properly in 16.5 PCB Editor (look ok in 3D view) Reply

It sounds like they are defined a mechancial holes without a pad. The color is defined under Display - Color Visibility Display folder, set something other than black as the color for drill holes. To get the DRC modes to work you need to enable it. Got to Setup - Constraints - Modes - Spacing Modes and make sure all the Hole to items are checked. Ideally everything in that list should have a tick. Then you should see the DRC's when routing. Make sure your drill hole size is set correctly in Pad Designer.

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Oct 22 2012 8:07 AM

• Ron Scott
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 4 2012
    • Posts 17
    • Points 220
    Re: mechanical alignment hole not showing properly in 16.5 PCB Editor (look ok in 3D view) Reply
    Try this out. It sometimes slips peoples mind. Go to Setup-->Design Parameters Editor and see if you have "Display Non-Plated Holes" selected HTH Ron Scott
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:37 AM

• mfris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 18 2012
    • Durham, NC
    • Posts 20
    • Points 440

Ron and Steve,

Thank you both for the quick reply.  In my case, going to Setup->Design Parameters and slecting "Display Non-Plated Holes" resolved the issue of not seeing the hole.  Setup -> Constraints -> Modes gave me the view to turn on the DRCs. 

Thanks again for the help!!

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mfris at 19 Oct 2012 09:19 AM. Topic has 3 replies.