Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > 3D View of Part in 16.5 not the same in symbol editor as PCB Editor

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

3D View of Part in 16.5 not the same in symbol editor as PCB Editor 

Last post Fri, Oct 5 2012 1:54 AM by steve. 2 replies.
Started by ScottCad 04 Oct 2012 05:36 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 775 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Oct 4 2012 5:36 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,775
    3D View of Part in 16.5 not the same in symbol editor as PCB Editor Reply

Ok in 16.5 this 3d viewer is acting kind of wierd in particular with the Z plane.

If you create a Shape on the Package Geometry top class and enter the height parameter as a positive when you hit the 3d button to display the 3d representation of the shape it is flipped, I.E the default view is negative with respect to the Z plane. Now if you enter a negative height properity for a shape then the 3d view looks fine when creating symbols.

Here is the issue. If you use negative height parameters so your 3d part looks ok in the symbol editor when you place the part on the  board and hit the 3d Button the actual visual representation of the 3d shape is negative. Seems like a bug with the Z scaling between symbol editor and pcb editor. Anyone come across this ?

Steps to reproduce would be

Create a rectangle in the symbol editor on the package gem top class, give it a min height value of 0 and a max height value of say 50, click the 3d button, you will have to pan tilt to see that the positive z plane height is negative.

Thanks Scott 

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Oct 4 2012 6:04 PM

• Roger BFS
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 4 2011
    • Morrison, CO
    • Posts 67
    • Points 965
    Re: 3D View of Part in 16.5 not the same in symbol editor as PCB Editor Reply

I have noticed the same behavior when starting the 3D viewer in symbol editor.  The Z-axis is displayed negatively as far as interpretation of the height parameters defined in the symbol.   The 3D view of the board after the symbol is placed is correct as anticipated.  I just wrote it off as a bug that might get fixed some day - not a show stopper for me.

Roger Green

Roger Green - B F Systems, LLC
    • Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Oct 5 2012 1:54 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,173
    • Points 19,025
    Re: 3D View of Part in 16.5 not the same in symbol editor as PCB Editor Reply

This is a known issue because of the way the symbol is defined. I would recommend contacting Cadence/VAR and raising an SR to let them know that you want this fixed.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ScottCad at 04 Oct 2012 05:36 PM. Topic has 2 replies.