Home > Community > Forums > Functional Verification > Use of a specify block within a SystemVerilog interface

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Use of a specify block within a SystemVerilog interface 

Last post Wed, Sep 26 2012 8:30 AM by SCollins. 1 replies.
Started by SCollins 26 Sep 2012 05:35 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 1184 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 5:35 AM

• SCollins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 10 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40
    Use of a specify block within a SystemVerilog interface Reply

Hi All, 

I'm currently converting a legacy testbench to use SystemVerilog interfaces between the DUT and some behavioural models. The testbench code includes a specify block that uses the $width system task to check for glitches on a signal between the DUT and one of the models.

I've tried to update the code so that the $width task now checks the equivalent signal within the interface instance, which connects the DUT and the model. For example:

specify

$width(posedge interface_inst.my_signal, 100, 0, my_notifier);

endspecify

Unfortunately Incisive reported a ncvlog error (ILLHIN) for the line containing the $width task call:

"A hierarchical name was used as an identifier where a hierarchical name is not allowed. Use a simple identifier."

I then moved the specify block to the interface itself, as on reflection, this seems a more suitable place anyway. The specify block is defined within the scope of the interface declaration. For example:

interface my_interface ();

logic my_signal, ...etc

modport ( ...);

specify

$width(posedge my_signal, 100, 0, my_notifier);

endspecify

endinterface

This time, Incisive reported a different ncvlog error (DECINM) for the line containing the specify keyword:

"The declaration is only valid within a module, interface, and program and not supported within task, function and package."

The message clearly states that a specify block within an interface is supported so why is Incisive reporting an error?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 8:30 AM

• SCollins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 10 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 40
    Re: Use of a specify block within a SystemVerilog interface Reply

I have since found out that IEEE Std 1800 (SystemVerilog LRM) does not allow specify blocks to be defined in interfaces.

Also, Incisive does not currently support the use of hierarchical references in specify blocks.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by SCollins at 26 Sep 2012 05:35 AM. Topic has 1 replies.