Home > Community > Forums > Logic Design > LEC - Conformal RTL to netlist mismatch

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

LEC - Conformal RTL to netlist mismatch 

Last post Tue, Jul 8 2014 6:53 AM by grasshopper. 11 replies.
Started by hnfq 11 Jul 2012 12:21 PM. Topic has 11 replies and 6647 views
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 12:21 PM

• hnfq
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 14 2011
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110
    LEC - Conformal RTL to netlist mismatch Reply

Hi, I have now seen this issue with two different designs and have not been able to figure out the root cause for this behaviour.

I have synthesized a design using RTL Compiler and have generated both mapped and an optimized netlist.

1. When I compare the RTL to mapped netlist (non-hierarchical comparison), I don't see any non-equivalent points.

2. When I compare the mapped netlist to the final optimized netlist, I don't see any non-equivalent points.

3. But when I compare RTL to final optimized netlist, I get non-equivalent points.

Looking into this matter in detail, I noticed that these non-equivalent points start showing up as soon as I run the first incremental synthesis on the mapped netlist.

Any ideas as to why the RTL to final netlist comparison are showing non-equivalencies?

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 2:16 PM

• bmiller
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570
    Re: LEC - Conformal RTL to netlist mismatch Reply

I have seen this happen before too, and in my case it was caused by sequential merging in RTL-Compiler.  The two step LEC flow helps LEC resolve and verify sequential merging.  The single step verification flow can often resolve sequential merging, but sometimes it cannot.

The two step LEC flow is the recommended way to verify RC netlists.  I suggest you continue to use the two step flow.  It is the best way to prevent false-noneqs and aborts.

• Post Points: 50
  • Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:58 AM

• hnfq
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110

Thanks for your input on the matter.

As far as the RTL to mapped netlist comparison is concerned, should that be hierarchical or would a non-hierarchical comparison suffice?

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jul 12 2012 2:17 PM

• bmiller
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570

Whenever RTL is the "golden" design in LEC, you should use a hierarchical compare.  This will be the most efficient, and give the best chance of a successful compare with no aborts.

Also, this is the default when using write_do_lec.  If RTL is the golden, write_do_lec will write out a hierarchical compare script, unless you explicitly say -flat.  Similarly, if you are generating a dofile with write_do_lec and you specify a -golden netlist (such as in the intermediate-to-final comparison), write_do_lec will default to writing a flat compare script.

Is there a reason why you would prefer a flat compare with RTL as the golden?

• Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:16 AM

• hnfq
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110

No, there wasn't any particular reason for running flat comparison. I just wanted to make sure that whether I run hierarchical or flat comparison I would be able to rely on the final result.

Appreciate your input on this issue. Thanks.

• Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:48 AM

• bmiller
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570

You can certainly rely on the final result whether you run flat or hierarchical.

If you'd like to have the option to run both ways, I suggest writing out two LEC dofiles with the write_do_lec command; one with -flat, and one without.

But, the preferred method is to run hierarchical if RTL is golden.

Good luck!

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Apr 2 2014 6:07 AM

Hi bmiller,

Can you explain what does sequential merging and sequential constanting mean?

Thanks

Manoj

• Wed, Apr 2 2014 9:01 AM

• bmiller
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 42
    • Points 570

Sure.  Sequential merging is when the synthesis tool merges two or more flops into one because they have the exact same function.  Sequential constant is when the synthesis tool optimizes away flops that are always tied to 1'b1 or 1'b0.

• Thu, Apr 3 2014 12:14 AM

• Thu, May 22 2014 11:18 PM

• JamesJawan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 23 2014
    • Herat, Afghanistan
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Thank, I had the same Mismatch and your posts helped me also I found more Cdence blog.

Love Is Everything If out how to control electricity it will be fun to build whatever you want.
  • Mon, Jun 30 2014 2:43 PM

Hi guys, I have somewhat surprised different result even with 2 steps verification though I my case is kind of similar as what hnfq described here. I have a simple design as well, and if I compared RTL vs. the first mapped netlist (without optimization before compile_ultra -incr in DC), LEC is passing; but when compared the final optimized netlist (after compile_ultra -incr in DC) vs. either RTL or first mapped netlist, it failed on LEC comparison. So it's obvious that compile -incr did something which confused LEC to pass, but I tried all methods mentioned by LEC guide or Cadence's blog suggestions here (as I knew), like no flop merge, no phase-invert, data-path guide etc., none of them worked. It's kind of surprised that an incr. compiled netlsit can't pass LEC vs. a same but non-incr. compiled netlsit from same RTL in DC. Do you guys have any further idea on this LEC failure? Thanks,
  • Tue, Jul 8 2014 6:53 AM

• grasshopper
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 242
    • Points 3,205

Hi,

unfortunately you do not include enough information for anyone to help you. You should include the schematic showing the nonEQ. You indicate LEC is confuse. Can you shed light why you think LEC is confused and the nonEQ is not real? Better yet, if the circuit is simple as you indicate, I believe the schematic should help you understand the difference and whether it is a real issue, setup issue, or something else.

hope this helps,

gh-

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by hnfq at 11 Jul 2012 12:21 PM. Topic has 11 replies.