Home > Community > Forums > Logic Design > CDC Functional Checks taking too much time.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

CDC Functional Checks taking too much time. 

Last post Mon, Jul 23 2012 4:29 AM by arunvaidya. 3 replies.
Started by arunvaidya 19 Jun 2012 11:45 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 3050 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jun 19 2012 11:45 PM

• arunvaidya
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 12 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30
    CDC Functional Checks taking too much time. Reply
    Hi there,

I am currently engaged in closure of CDC functional checks but to my frustration the run for CDC functional checks is taking a great deal of time and till now its just too slow to see it finish. I would like to know if there is any way on how I may investigate this problem and hopefully speed the runtime considerably. The design has a gate count of around 2.8 million.

FYI: There are no errors received during the run.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Jun 25 2012 4:36 PM

• tstark
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 28 2008
    • San Jose, CA
    • Posts 40
    • Points 455
    Re: CDC Functional Checks taking too much time. Reply

You mentioned CDC functional checks which apparently means multiple cycle checks as opposed to the first level static checks.

Functional checks involve resetting flops and proper design set-up before checking. With multiple cycles the potential function can become very compilicated quickly. Especially for a large design like your own.

I don't know if there is a "one size fits all" type of solution in this case. I think the best way to investigate is to contact Cadence support and talk to them. If you find a solution please share it with us!

-ps

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jun 26 2012 3:23 AM

• arunvaidya
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

When you say ''proper design set-up'' what exactly does the checklist cover apart from resetting flops. Could you please elaborate?

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Jul 23 2012 4:29 AM

• arunvaidya
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

I was instructed (by email, post not in forum) to clear up structural violations and once I was able to clear all the structural violations in the design I fired a run to perform all the functional CDC checks. The total run time taken was approx. 5-6 days, but to my suprise most (95%) of the checks returned a status of ED (explored depth), indicating a higher prove effort is required (but atleast the run finished with some results).

If I do increase prove effort won't it increase the already long run time or are there any other suggestions on how I may proceed to reduce the run time by also reducing the total number of ED paths.

Thanks for the help,

Arun V.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by arunvaidya at 19 Jun 2012 11:45 PM. Topic has 3 replies.