Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > AMS rolling back to the older version of ultrasim

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

AMS rolling back to the older version of ultrasim 

Last post Mon, Jun 25 2012 3:10 PM by Andrew Beckett. 8 replies.
Started by 01farhad10 15 Jun 2012 03:18 PM. Topic has 8 replies and 2623 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Jun 15 2012 3:18 PM

AMS rolling back to the older version of ultrasim Reply

I am seeing some strange behavior from the AMS simulator. I have changed the MMSIM version to 11.10 to use the most updated ultrasim simulator for multithread simulation. All the environment variables have been updated accordingly. However, when I try to simulate something the log files show that the older version of ultrasim (Version 7.1) is being used!

The interesting point is that when I am still in the same cadence session, if I use ADE for simulation it uses the newer version of ultrasim (Version 11.10). I am a little confused why the ADE can see the newer ultrasim but AMS doesn't? I appreciate any help in this respect.

Here is how my environment is set up:

$ echo $CDSHOME
    /mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/IC61

$ echo $AMSHOME
    /mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/IUS82

$ echo $IUSHOME
    /mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/IUS82

$ echo $MMSIMHOME
    /mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/MMSIM11.10

$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    /mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/MMSIM11.10/tools/lib:/mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/IUS82/tools/lib:/mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/IC61/tools/lib

$ echo $PATH
    /mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/MMSIM11.10/tools/dfII/bin:/mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/MMSIM11.10/tools/bin:/mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/ASSURA410_FOR_614/tools/assura/bin:/mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/IUS82/tools/dfII/bin:/mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/IUS82/tools/bin:/mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/IC61/tools/dfII/bin:/mscad/apps/Linux/cadence/IC61/tools/bin  .....

• Post Points: 20
  • Sat, Jun 16 2012 3:55 AM

Re: AMS rolling back to the older version of ultrasim Reply
    The problem is that you've misunderstood how AMS works. AMS Designer is a standalone, single executable simulator. It is entirely contained within the INCISIV release stream (or its predecessor, the IUS stream). There is no need to have MMSIM installed to use it, and it doesn't use spectre or Ultrasim from the MMSIM stream if you do (the analog solver is a shared library in the INCISIV/IUS stream).

So, if running spectre or Ultrasim, you're getting the simulator from the MMSIM11.1 stream, whereas if you're running AMS, the simulator (including the analog solver) is coming from the IUS82 stream. If you run "print_mmsimver" from the command line you'll see which MMSIM version AMS Designer was built with (and that's what you're seeing in the log files).

You should use INCISIV111 if you want the latest release.

Regards,

Andrew
  • Sat, Jun 16 2012 3:42 PM

Now it makes sense why I see this strange behaviour from AMS :)

Thank you so much Andrew

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:03 PM

I want to update anybody who reads this post. Based on the AMS Designer Simulator User Guide (Version 11.1):
    "Multithreading is supported when Spectre is chosen as the analog solver."

Therefore, at this time AMS Simulator does not support multithreading with Ultrasim!

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:17 PM

Multithreading of the ultrasim solver is supported in AMS - it's just the manual that's not caught up yet. There's a CCR (1016804) to get the documentation fixed.

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 4:33 PM

Then can you please instruct me how to enable multithreading for ultrasim?

I tried adding +multithread=4 to "Additional arguments (simulator)" under AMS options --> Main tab but it didn't help.

(I'm using INCISIV111 as you recommended before)

• Mon, Jun 25 2012 9:43 AM

In Simulation->Options->FastSPICE (UltraSim) you can turn it on, providing you're using A or S mode. I believe MX mode will be added later (you can do that in UltraSims standalone).

Andrew

• Mon, Jun 25 2012 10:54 AM

I see no option regarding to multithread simulation under "FastSPICE (Ultrasim) Options". I have some options for simulation mode (Analog, Spice, Mised Signal ....) and speed options (High Accuracy, Aggressive, ...) but no option to select multithreading. Thanks for your help anyway.

• Mon, Jun 25 2012 3:10 PM

You must be using too old and IC version (or subversion), presumably.

Andrew
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by 01farhad10 at 15 Jun 2012 03:18 PM. Topic has 8 replies.