Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Error: Padstacks missing thermal/antipad definitions?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Error: Padstacks missing thermal/antipad definitions? 

Last post Tue, Jun 12 2012 4:33 PM by bnaden. 3 replies.
Started by bnaden 07 Jun 2012 10:58 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 2105 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:58 AM

• bnaden
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 7 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30
    Error: Padstacks missing thermal/antipad definitions? Reply

Hey everyone,

Background: I am new to Cadence, and am going through a simple tutorial on how to create a 555 LED blinker circuit using the Cadence suite. Following the tutorial, I drew the schematic in OrCAD, created a few custom pads and footprints, placed the components in Allegro, and autorouted the board.

Everything went smoothly until it came time to export the gerbers/artwork.  The signal, silkscreen, and soldermask films export fine, but the power and ground films both have the error

Padstacks missing thermal/antipad definitions: throughhole_padstack, pad60cir36

I created the throughhole_padstack, but I do not recall using or assigning pad60cir36 ever in the tutorial. If anybody knows of an obvious/common fix, I appreciate the help!

Filed under: , , , ,
    • Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 2:49 PM

• bnaden
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30
    Re: Error: Padstacks missing thermal/antipad definitions? Reply

I realize that my problem is a bit vague, especially if you aren't actually in front of the files to look at them. So if I can clarify it in any way, please let me know. Again, I do not know what the error "Padstacks missing thermal/antipad definition" means.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jun 12 2012 1:32 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,054
    • Points 16,975

It sounds like you are using negative artworks on the planes or have the shapes defined to use Thermal / Anti pads. The reason for the error is that the padstacks do not have a thermal / anti pad defined. Open the padstacks you created and add a thermal / anti pad definition then try again. Or use positive shapes.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jun 12 2012 4:33 PM

• bnaden
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

Thanks for the help steve. I believe I ended up solving the problem by changing the Device type from 6x00 to Gerber RS274X under the Artwork Control Form. After that, the Gerbers were created without errors. I am pretty sure that the thermal pads were already defined (they were specified as flash), so I still don't understand why there was a problem exporting as a 6x00 format. I won't worry about that right now, though.

Anyway, thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by bnaden at 07 Jun 2012 10:58 AM. Topic has 3 replies.