Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Calibre(cal_2011.4_35.27) compatible with IC615?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Calibre(cal_2011.4_35.27) compatible with IC615? 

Last post Fri, Jul 13 2012 9:35 PM by Todd James. 6 replies.
Started by Xiongliang 06 Jun 2012 11:27 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 3235 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 11:27 AM

• Xiongliang
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 7 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80
    Calibre(cal_2011.4_35.27) compatible with IC615? Reply

Dear Folks,

We installed the Calibre (x86_cal_2011.4_35.27) on both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux machines with IC615 (IC-6.1.5-hf510). But it does not seem working properly. The calibre interface can be opened, but the DRC and RVE can not be run and showed the following errors:

*Error* fprintf/sprintf: format spec. incompatible with data - "Format is '%s -hierDepth %s', argument #2 is 20"
    <<< Stack Trace >>>
    _sprintf("%s -hierDepth %s" strm_cmd (streamOutKeys->hierDepth))
    (strm_cmd = _sprintf("%s -hierDepth %s" strm_cmd (streamOutKeys->hierDepth)))
    sprintf(strm_cmd "%s -hierDepth %s" strm_cmd (streamOutKeys->hierDepth))
    when(((streamOutKeys->

hierDepth) && ((streamOutKeys->hierDepth) != "")) sprintf(strm_cmd "%s -hierDepth %s" strm_cmd (streamOutKeys->hierDepth)))
    let((strm_cmd tf) sprintf(nil "%L%L%L%L" libName cellName viewName ... ) (strm_cmd = strcat("strmout -library '" (streamOutKeys->libName) "'" " -strmFile " (streamOutKeys->outFile) ... )) unless(((streamOutKeys->cellMapTable) == "") (strm_cmd = strcat(strm_cmd " -cellMap " &))) unless(((streamOutKeys->layerTable) == "") (strm_cmd = strcat(strm_cmd " -layerMap " &))) ... )
    mgc_rve_export_get_oastream_cmd(libName cellName viewName fileName)
    (cmd = mgc_rve_export_get_oastream_cmd(libName cellName viewName fileName))

Has anyone met the same problem?

Regards,

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 11:57 AM

Re: Calibre(cal_2011.4_35.27) compatible with IC615? Reply
    Why not contact Mentor to see if it's a known problem - or if not, they can hopefully fix it?

Regards,

Andrew=
  • Thu, Jun 7 2012 12:36 AM

• Xiongliang
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

Hello, Andrew,

I am installing Caliber 2011 versions (ixl_cal_2011.4_35.27 for 64bit linux and x86_cal_2011.4_35.27 for 32bit linux) on Cadence IC615 with IBM-0.13um CMRF8SF design kit.

In Cadence virtuoso IC layout menu, I can successfully pop up the Caliber interface with Runsets, but when push the DRC buttom, it seems that Cadence can not export the layout cellview to Calibre and gives the above errors. I choose the "GDSII" format in the input file menu in Calibre.

I will also ask the question in Mentor forum.

Thank you.

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 7:52 AM

• dmay
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 396
    • Points 7,445

It appears that Calibre is trying to run the stream out and it doesn't know that you are using a 6.1 version of Cadence software. The stream out tools are different in 5.1.41 and 6.1 so Calibre probably needs some environment variable to let it know what version to run. The error message indicates that a 5.1.41 stream out template file is being used. This is a Skill based template file with a disembodied property list streamOutKeys. In 6.1, the template file uses a simple text file with key words in the first column and values (sometimes) in the second column.

If you start Cadence with some wrapper that sets up environment variables, you'll need to set the same variables when starting Calibre. I don't know if it is looling for $OA_HOME or for virtuoso (6.1) in the path or for strmout (6.1) in the path.

Derek

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:14 AM

• Xiongliang
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

Hello, Derek,

Could you be more specific about the setting of the enviroment variables. In my script, I only have two enviroment variables to setup the Calibre: 

$MENTORHOME points to the mentor home directory

$MGC_HOME points to the specific version of Calibre

When $MGC_HOME points to 2010 versions of Calibre, e.g. ixl_cal_2010.4_26.16, IC615 can properly pops up the Calibre interface and do the DRC check, but when $MGC_HOME points to 2011 versions of Calibre, e.g. ixl_cal_2011.4_35.27, IC615 can still pops up the Calibre interface but DRC check can not be streamed out anymore.

Could you please explain?

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:11 PM

Actually streamOutKeys is supported in IC615 (it wasn't in early versions of IC61X) - and it does appear from the stack trace as if this is code for the "OA" version. Regardless of whether it was supported or not, it's Mentor's code that appears to be processing streamOutKeys.

Do you have streamOutKeys defined? Try typing streamOutKeys in the CIW and seeing what it shows. In particular, look at streamOutKeys->hierDepth  . From the stack trace it appears that the code is trying to format a string and is finding that streamOutKeys->hierDepth is an integer rather than a string. So I expect it to be showing 20 rather than "20" which is what it's expecting.

So try doing:

streamOutKeys->hierDepth="20"

and seeing if that helps. Maybe their code has changed between the two versions you are trying?

Still is a question best asked of Mentor customer support (I'd got to their support, rather than asking on a forum).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Jul 13 2012 9:35 PM

• Todd James
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 9 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Hello.

This problem can be addressed by making a couple of minor changes to the file mgc_export.skl which is found in the mentor/calibre tree.  In that file, you will see the format strings being used to process hierDepth and maxVertices (they both will fail, but the stack trace occurs on the first failure).

Using Andrew's suggestion, we first determined what streamOutKeys-hierDepth is being set to - string or decimal.  They we alter the format string to match.  Same for maxVertices.

Exercise care, especially if you are in a multi-version environment.  At some point in the past, we edited our file to expect decimals, and now we have to undo it.  It seems different IC or Calibre sub-versions may have built streamOutKeys differently.  I am not sure which tool actually builds that data structure.

Good Luck

Todd

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Xiongliang at 06 Jun 2012 11:27 AM. Topic has 6 replies.