Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Transient simulation taking too much memory

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Transient simulation taking too much memory 

Last post Wed, Jun 6 2012 1:58 AM by vshssvs7. 20 replies.
Started by vshssvs7 30 May 2012 02:25 AM. Topic has 20 replies and 7816 views
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jun 4 2012 12:05 PM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 11 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 212
    • Points 5,625
    Re: RE: RE: Transient simulation taking too much memory Reply

Hi vshssvs7,

Please note that Cadence AEs respond to questions on this forum often "off hours" and/or in addition to their "regular duties". 

If this is a critical issue and you need immediate attention, please talk to your University staff and see how to file a Service Request at http://support.cadence.com . (There are specific instructions for university accounts). 

I cannot reproduce what you are seeing in MMSIM 11.1 and IC 6.1.5 latest ISR. 

If I only save one net. (save=selected) and

1. Select Results->Direct Plot->Transient Signal and click on an unsaved net, I get a message in the CIW:

*Warning* no "VT" data for node "/net8"

2. If I do not have any signal in the outputs pane selected for plotting, then I cannot use Results->Plot  Outputs->Transient.

If I only have one signal selected in the Outputs pane, then I can only plot that signal.

3. Selct Results->Direct Plot->Main Form, I get an error in the Direct Plot form that says: 

ERROR:  /net8 is not a kept output

Best regards,

Tawna

Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
    Filed under: , ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 10:39 AM

• vshssvs7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 30 2012
    • Posts 11
    • Points 190
    Re: RE: RE: Transient simulation taking too much memory Reply

Respected Madam,

Thanks for replying. What you mentioned is the "expected" behavior. That's what should happen, but it's not happening in my case. It's able to plot all the signals even though I save only one (or few) nets (which is the reason for huge disk space as it is saving all nets). My friend uses same version of cadence as mine and it works for him as "expected".

Ok then, I will have to approach my university staff and file a service request.

Thanks. 

• Tue, Jun 5 2012 10:46 AM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 11 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 212
    • Points 5,625
    RE: RE: RE: Transient simulation taking too much memory Reply
    Hi Vshssvs7,

Precisely…I am seeing the expected behavior.  And you are not.  This indicates that there is a problem that needs to be

investigated by a Cadence Support Application Engineer via a Service Request.  The Community Forum is not going

to be an effective vehicle to resolve your issue.  My goal is to help you get “up and running” as quickly as possible.

And that means filing a Service Request.  J

Best regards,

Tawna
    Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 10:54 AM

• vshssvs7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 190
    Re: RE: RE: RE: Transient simulation taking too much memory Reply
    Ok Madam. Thank you.
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 12:43 PM

One other thing to quickly check - do any of the files which are included via "include" statements at the top of the netlist contain either "save" statements (e.g. "save *") or options statements which have the save parameter.

But in general, a service request is the best bet.

Andrew
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 1:58 AM

• vshssvs7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 190

Thank you Andrew Sir, You did it!

This is the solution I have been looking from beginning. 

Long ago I included "cadence.scs" file (from Setup -> Model libraries) to be able to plot device parameters like gm, gds, etc. It has only a single line: save * sigtype=all

This has caused all the problems. Now I have disabled it and everything is working as "expected".

Thanks again :) 

• Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts:
Started by vshssvs7 at 30 May 2012 02:25 AM. Topic has 20 replies.