Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > How to add a company logo or a marking seregraphy with "Allegro PCB Design"

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to add a company logo or a marking seregraphy with "Allegro PCB Design" 

Last post Tue, Aug 12 2014 4:09 PM by eDave. 14 replies.
Started by HaithemEmbedde 28 May 2012 05:28 AM. Topic has 14 replies and 7795 views
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, May 28 2012 5:28 AM

How to add a company logo or a marking seregraphy with "Allegro PCB Design" Reply

Hi,

how to add a company logo, a picture, or a marking seregraphy in PCB board with "Allegro PCB Design",

see exemple in attached image:

Best regards,

Haithem.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, May 28 2012 1:11 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 13 2008
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 736
    • Points 15,930
    Re: How to add a company logo or a marking seregraphy with "Allegro PCB Design" Reply

Hi,

See the attached Skill code.

It's important that you follow the installation instructions (close to the top of the file) carefully.

Regards,

Dave 

Dave Elder, Tait Communications
    • Post Points: 50
  • Thu, May 31 2012 1:33 AM

Re: How to add a company logo or a marking seregraphy with "Allegro PCB Design" Reply
    Hi, Thank you for your help, I installed and configure scripts and it works with bugs. can you send me the latest version of "logoMaker_public.il". regards, Haithem.
  • Thu, May 31 2012 3:39 AM

• budnoel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 12 2008
    • Rochester, NY
    • Posts 129
    • Points 2,100

Hi Dave - Can you send me your updated skill code and a link to the cadence Skill Code shareware site?  Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide.

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, May 31 2012 2:51 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 736
    • Points 15,930

All, 

See attached for the latest code.

I am aware of some problems with some versions of the third party  tools.

The "default" (safe) version of potrace is 1.8 (potrace-1.8.win32-i386.zip)

The "default" (safe) version of ImageMagick is 6.5.3 (ImageMagick-6.5.3-Q16-windows.zip) 

Regards,
    Dave 

• Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Jun 4 2012 7:34 AM

• dschaefer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 9 2009
    • Winnipeg, Manitoba
    • Posts 50
    • Points 850

Can't find ImageMagick 6.5.3 - is it still available somewhere?

• Mon, Jun 4 2012 9:33 AM

• Centmo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 4 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hi dschaefer, I just went through the process of adding a logo for my board on PCB Designer 16.0. Here were my steps (after much web research, and some trial and error):

1) Took a picture of what I wanted to make a logo of (a propeller in my case).

2) Imported the picture into a DWG drawing tool (I used DraftSight, which is free).

3) Traced the outline of the propeller over the photo with a polyline. Added some circles. Exploded the polyline into a bunch of tiny lines (polyline didn't import into PCB designer). Deleted the photo.

4) Saved drawing as an ASCII .DXF file.

5) At this point, I was unable to import the DXF into my board design directly, so start a new file in PCB designer. Drawing type: mechanical symbol. Import the DXF (File->Import->DXF...

6) For my logo, after import, a part of the logo was cut off, and the only way I could figure out how to get it all was to resize the page larger (Setup->Design Parameters->Design) after importing, and then import the logo again, with the 'incremental addition' check box checked in the DXF import window.

7)Once the logo is all in there, and saved as a .DRA file (in the folder with all the other DRA files), go back to your design. Select Place->Place Manually. Go to the Advanced tab, and make sure the 'library' box is checked. Go back to the Placement List tab, and from the drop down select Mechanical Symbols. Your symbol should be there. Check the box beside it and place the logo.

This process worked for me, hope it works for you.

• Fri, Sep 20 2013 1:42 AM

• salim saheb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 28 2012
    • manipal, Karnataka
    • Posts 2
    • Points 255

please tell me how to install "logoMaker_public.il" in orcad pcb editor 16.3 version. and how to import a logo to designed board.

Thank you

Salim

• Sun, Sep 22 2013 12:45 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 736
    • Points 15,930
    Follow the instrctions at the top of the file.
  • Mon, Nov 18 2013 2:07 PM

• mpfleger
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 14 2009
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 13
    • Points 260

Hi Dave,

I've been playing with logomaker, and I have a question...

As I understand it; the intermediate file format used in the conversion is SVG (due to potrace digesting a bitmap), and this is fed to the latter part of your skill program for conversion into lines. In this case; is there an easy way to pipe SVG logos directly through the latter part of your tool, rather than going through some grisly bitmap process?

Tools like Draftsight will quite happily take a dxf file and export directly to SVG, so this seems like it might be a cleaner route.

Cheers,

Mike

• Mon, Nov 18 2013 8:19 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 736
    • Points 15,930

That would certainly be possible but would not give the user the abilty to scale or manipulate the image on the fly in Allegro which was one of my initial objectives.

• Fri, Mar 21 2014 5:04 AM

• Alagu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 16 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

Hi,

I am trying to install this software, but I am not able to do so. We copied the potrace.exe and mkbitmap.exe files to C:\Windows and C:\Program files, and then tried to run it, but a blank command window is coming and its stuck there. Please advice.

thank you,

Raja 

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 7:59 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 736
    • Points 15,930
    There are instructions at the top of the file. Follow them to the letter and you should be OK.
  • Tue, Aug 12 2014 3:01 AM

• bluscape
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 12 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

I'm trying to install this and follow the instructions to the letter but I'm stuck at installing logoMaker.

1.) I have several skill folders:

C:\Cadence\SPB_16.5\tools\dfII\samples\skill

C:\Cadence\SPB_16.5\share\local\pcb\skill

C:\Cadence\SPB_16.5\share\pcb\examples\skill

C:\Cadence\SPB_16.5\doc\finder\SKILL

Which skill folder should I use?

2.) In my pcbenv folder (C:\Users\mc\pcbenv) I only have a the following files:

allegro.geo

allegro.ini

None of these two seem correct for adding load("logoMaker_public.il")?

• Tue, Aug 12 2014 4:09 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 736
    • Points 15,930

1/ You should have an ALLEGRO_SITE variable set in your Windows user or system variables. This defines a path to Skill via the skill subdirectory. Add it, if it doesn't exist, and place your Skill code there.

2/ Create an allegro.ilinit file in the same folder and include the load statement in that.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by HaithemEmbedde at 28 May 2012 05:28 AM. Topic has 14 replies.