Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > how to recover a locked simulation on the Cadence server?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

how to recover a locked simulation on the Cadence server? 

Last post Sat, May 19 2012 4:47 PM by Quek. 11 replies.
Started by sohaibafridi 17 Apr 2012 12:49 AM. Topic has 11 replies and 2934 views
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Apr 17 2012 12:49 AM

• sohaibafridi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 24 2011
    • <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><string>Islamabad, Pakistan</string>
    • Posts 12
    • Points 210
    how to recover a locked simulation on the Cadence server? Reply

Hello,

I am using Cadence 5.10.41 , I want to know that if I am running a simulation on my Cadence server, which is being accessed through PuTTy on my PC, after a power breakdown on my PC (my server has no power breakdown), I access the PuTTy and I find out that the process has been locked and is not running. What should I do then to recover the simulation from that point?

Secondly, why does the simulation break if my PC shuts down, because I thought that the simulation was running on the server and it has nothing to do with the interface on my PC?.

I am accessing the LinuX server using PuTTy and Xming.

Sohaib Afridi
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Apr 17 2012 6:50 AM

• Quek
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Singapore, 00-SG
    • Posts 1,051
    • Points 15,990
    Re: how to recover a locked simulation on the Cadence server? Reply

Hi Sohaib

If you had used "+checkpoint" spectre option in the initial simulation, you can continue from a saved checkpoint using "+recover" option. Xming is an X server which allows you to run the simulation on your remote server but the parent process is still on your PC. Please use a tool such as "vnc" in order to be sure that it does not get affected by your PC issues. When using vnc, the vnc server is started on the remote server and only the display will be sent to your PC. Hence regardless of what happens to your PC, your simulation will not be affected.

Best regards
    Quek

• Post Points: 35
  • Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:53 AM

• sohaibafridi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 210

Thank you very much Quek for the tip on vnc server. This is really useful for my scenario.

Please could you guide me where is this +checkpoint spectre option ? Or is there any command to be used on the icfb window?.Can we remove these checkpoints after we are done with them so that they do not fill up the hardrive for every simulation? or are they removed after we "+recover" them?

Regards

Sohaib Afridi
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 4:49 AM

• Quek
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Singapore, 00-SG
    • Posts 1,051
    • Points 15,990

Hi Sohaib

You can specify +checkpoint in "userCmdLineOption" field in "ADE: Setup->Environment" but there is no need to do so because it is enabled by default. You can also use savestate and recover cmds in the same form. Please search for "Recovering from Transient Analysis Terminations" in $MMSIMHOME/doc/spectreuser/spectreuser.pdf. That section has a lot of info for simulation recovery.

It is ok to remove checkpoint/savesstate files if they are no longer needed.

Best regards
    Quek

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, May 2 2012 11:17 PM

• sohaibafridi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 210

Dear Quek,

I have reading about vnc but I have an issue regarding it. I do not understand that how should I configure vnc for multiple accounts on the server. What is understand is that for using vnc , I require to be logged on a single account. Is there any other software or way to bypass Xming alltogether.

Regards

Quek:

Hi Sohaib

If you had used "+checkpoint" spectre option in the initial simulation, you can continue from a saved checkpoint using "+recover" option. Xming is an X server which allows you to run the simulation on your remote server but the parent process is still on your PC. Please use a tool such as "vnc" in order to be sure that it does not get affected by your PC issues. When using vnc, the vnc server is started on the remote server and only the display will be sent to your PC. Hence regardless of what happens to your PC, your simulation will not be affected.

Best regards
    Quek

Sohaib Afridi
  • Fri, May 4 2012 7:41 AM

• Quek
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Singapore, 00-SG
    • Posts 1,051
    • Points 15,990

Hi Sohaib

Here is how you can start a vnc server for different user accounts:

a. Log in to the server using any user name
    b. Go to the home directory and create a .vnc directory if it does not exists
    c. Create a file named "xstartup" with the following contents:

unset SESSION_MANAGER
    exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    xsetroot -solid grey
    startx &

d. Start vnc server using:

linux>vncserver :123 -nolisten local -depth 24 -geometry 1366x768 &

You can now use any vnc viewer to connect to vnc server 123. I think vnc is your best choice for remote access. : )  It is very reliable and stable.

Best regards
    Quek

• Fri, May 4 2012 10:28 PM

• sohaibafridi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 210

Thank you very much I followed it.

I performed the steps, created a vnc server and executed the vnc server according to vncserver :123 -nolisten local -depth 24 -geometry 1366x768 &.

When I use the vnc viewer from my windows and access the account, it opens up a window, but it is black, the only visible thing is the mouse cursor.

Any idea what could be the issue?

Regards

Sohaib Afridi
  • Fri, May 4 2012 10:41 PM

• Quek
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Singapore, 00-SG
    • Posts 1,051
    • Points 15,990

Hi Sohaib

I also experience this problem sometimes and usually rebooting the server resolves it. Not very sure what is the caused of it. If rebooting does not help you, please email to a vnc help forum together with the log file in your .vnc directory.

Best regards
    Quek

• Mon, May 14 2012 6:30 AM

• sohaibafridi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 210

yup this rebooting works. Still unknown why does that happen?.

Secondly, If I wanted to delete any of these session accounts, what should I do?

Sohaib Afridi
  • Fri, May 18 2012 7:35 PM

• Quek
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Singapore, 00-SG
    • Posts 1,051
    • Points 15,990

Hi Sohaib

I am also not sure of the cause of the problem. You can simply kill the "Xvnc" process.

Best regards
    Quek

• Sat, May 19 2012 11:04 AM

• sohaibafridi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 210

Xvnc process is only visible when those sessions are logged in or are currently in use, Do you know how to completely delete those sessions ,so that if a new user creates a new vnc server he can use the old session address.

e.g sohaib:100 is being used by someone. Now if we want this session number to be free and available for any other user, What should we do? Can we delete its association with the previous account.

Regards

Sohaib Afridi
  • Sat, May 19 2012 4:47 PM

• Quek
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Singapore, 00-SG
    • Posts 1,051
    • Points 15,990

Xvnc process is always present once the server is started and needs to be killed in order to re-use the same session address. You can check it using "ps -ef | grep Xvnc" in a terminal window. I think perhaps you might be able to get more help on this in a vnc support forum.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by sohaibafridi at 17 Apr 2012 12:49 AM. Topic has 11 replies.