Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > PSS Analysis's reliability-Difference between time domain response in PSS and Tran analysis

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

PSS Analysis's reliability-Difference between time domain response in PSS and Tran analysis 

Last post Thu, Apr 12 2012 10:51 AM by Tawna. 1 replies.
Started by Imank 12 Apr 2012 10:41 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 2284 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Apr 12 2012 10:41 AM

• Imank
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 30 2011
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    PSS Analysis's reliability-Difference between time domain response in PSS and Tran analysis Reply

I'm designing a wide band matching network to drive an antenna.The output pulse at the output of pulse generator is delivered to one N1PORT as the antenna model thet refered to a S1P file with value from 1GHz to 8GHz. I want to use this interface between antenna(S1P port with n1port component) and pulse generator(transmitter) I did PSS and Transient analysis to plot output signal. Here are the defined parameters in both simulations:

1-PSS:fundamental tone in 40MHz and I'm going to calculate harmonics to 10GHz cause I want to see output PSD to 10GHz so I defined 250 as number of harmonics.

2-Transient: As input pulse is a unipolar 40MHz pulse rate with 1.2V amplitude, I set the transient time equal to 200ns to reach steady state condition (However, I think my circuit has no transient state).

After simulation, I plotted transient response of output at the positive port of N1PORT both in Tran and PSS simulation. ( to put matching circuit between them I grounded one input of 1-port network and directly connected another input to  matching circuit's output). But  the results are completely different, so:

a) I wonder to know which one is reliable based on using 1-Port instance, PSS or Tran analysis? (I think Transient is the most reliable analysis but as I have s1p  file, I'm not sure!!)

b) I want to Plot PSD(Power Spectral Density) of output signal, I used direct plot form to plot PSS>---Function: Power>--Modifier:dBm. I'm not sure that is it true or wrong? Indeed, dBmP is PSD of output? How can I plot output's PSD in 1Hz or 1MHz scale?

Thanks in Advance.

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Apr 12 2012 10:51 AM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 10 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 208
    • Points 5,500
    RE: PSS Analysis's reliability-Difference between time domain response in PSS and Tran analysis Reply
    Hi Iman,

If your s-parameter data starts at 1G (at the lowest point), that is going to be a problem. And it is not surprising at all that your results aren't accurate.
    You need data down to dc (or close to it.) Please read this blog posting: http://www.cadence.com/Community/blogs/rf/archive/2011/03/23/my-favorite-nport-settings.aspx?postID=1260942

If you need further help, please file a Service Request as I mentioned in my previous note.

best regards,
    Tawna
    Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Imank at 12 Apr 2012 10:41 AM. Topic has 1 replies.