Home > Community > Forums > Logic Design > Hello. How to add a custom cell to the freePDK45nm standard cell library.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Hello. How to add a custom cell to the freePDK45nm standard cell library. 

Last post Mon, Apr 2 2012 6:41 AM by mcaruso. 1 replies.
Started by Thommandram 01 Apr 2012 09:49 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 2883 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:49 AM

Hello. How to add a custom cell to the freePDK45nm standard cell library. Reply

Hello,

I am going to do a custom designed - register file structure in freePDK45nm library. I want to add this as a single "cell" to the freePDK45nm standard cell library so that I can use this cell for doing a microprocessor design.

CAn someone tell me how to add an extra cell to the standard cell library? do I have to use the abstract view in virtuoso or something like that???

Thanks in advance 

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Apr 2 2012 6:41 AM

• mcaruso
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2012
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5
    Re: Hello. How to add a custom cell to the freePDK45nm standard cell library. Reply

Hi

If you are running Encounter using LEF to represent your typical standard cells, then you would have to create a LEF from the Virtuoso Abstract view. If you have not done this before you should consult a Virtuoso AE for this. There are several ways to control the amount of detail ( pin parasitic, antennas ) in the abstract and setting the right switches is important.  Once the LEF is generated, you would add that .LEF as well as .lib (timing) entry to your EDI setup so that you can place and route the register file along with the rest of the design.

If you are on OA (Open Access libraries for both Virtuoso and EDI ), then the same rules apply with the exception of generating a LEF. EDI can read the OA abstact view you created. Similar to using the LEF, add the name of the Virtuoso library that contains that cell to your list of OA libraries that the tool is reading.

I hope that gets you going in the right direction.

Mike

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Thommandram at 01 Apr 2012 09:49 AM. Topic has 1 replies.