Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Question about "Enable Antipads as Route Keepouts (ARK)"

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Question about "Enable Antipads as Route Keepouts (ARK)" 

Last post Fri, Jan 25 2013 12:52 PM by KEN13. 4 replies.
Started by W86GT 13 Mar 2012 08:04 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 2185 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Mar 13 2012 8:04 AM

• W86GT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 29 2009
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    Question about "Enable Antipads as Route Keepouts (ARK)" Reply

Hello,

I have defined an Anti Pad for the differential pairs of a high speed connector within the padstack for those pins.  I have checked the box beside "Enable Antipads as Route Keepouts (ARK)" on the parameters tab of the padstack. 

Is there anything else I need to enable within Allegro (16.5) to get this to work?  When I place the connector on my PCB I am not seeing the Antipad Keepouts.

Is this feature only used for the SPECCTRA autorouter?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Brian

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Mar 13 2012 8:33 AM

• fxffxf
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • ., AK
    • Posts 298
    • Points 4,735
    Re: Question about "Enable Antipads as Route Keepouts (ARK)" Reply

This option is only applicable if the padstack is used for a mechanical pin. If the padstack is assign to vias or pins that are associated with nets then the anti-pads are applied with their conventional usages (e.g. negative planes or with positive planes overrides for hole generation).

• Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:10 AM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800

I created a padstack as follows...""Suppress unconnect int. pads: legacy artwork" and "Mech pins use antipads as Route Keepout" boxes checked.  Hole type...Circle Drill.  Plating...Non-Plated,  Drill diameter 50.0.  Layers tabs...begin, default internal, end layers all Regular Pad...Circle...40.0 (to avoid copper shavings) and all the Anti Pads...Circle...50.0.  Thermal Relief pads...Null.  I then add this padstack as a mechanical pin on a part.  In the library or on the board I do not see any route keepouts and I can route a trace directly over the hole and do not get an error.  Can anyone let me know what I am missing in order to get this option to work?

Thank you,

Ken

Have a good day, Ken Capture 16.5 S022, Layout 16.2.0p001, PCB Editor 16.5 S025
  • Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:59 AM

• fxffxf
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • ., AK
    • Posts 298
    • Points 4,735

From Whats New for 16.2...

Mechanical pins are non-logical elements, typically used as mounting or tooling holes and fiducials. Manually drawn keepout areas are traditionally attached to the mechanical symbol to restrict etch around the perimeter of the hole or pad. A new pad usage option, Enable Antipads as Route Keepouts (ARK), permits the antipad associated with the padstack of the mechanical pin to be used as an implicit route keepout area. The mechanical pin checks are located in the Design Modes form.

-- you also need to go Setup-> Constraints -> Modes,sekect Design Modes tab and enable the 2 Mech pin checks

• Fri, Jan 25 2013 12:52 PM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800

Thanks f,

That worked.  FYI, I usually add the keepouts on the symbol for mechanical pins and additional ones as needed in the file.  The part I was working on was a 12 pin pass-thru connector(SAMTEC) and rather than draw the route keepouts for each on the 12 mechanical pins, I noticed the option in the padstack editor and thought to use that instead.  Thanks again for the help.

Ken

Have a good day, Ken Capture 16.5 S022, Layout 16.2.0p001, PCB Editor 16.5 S025
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by W86GT at 13 Mar 2012 08:04 AM. Topic has 4 replies.