Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Multiple version installation guidance

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Multiple version installation guidance 

Last post Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:07 AM by Roger BFS. 2 replies.
Started by Roger BFS 07 Feb 2012 08:33 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 1812 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 8:33 AM

• Roger BFS
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 4 2011
    • Morrison, CO
    • Posts 67
    • Points 965
    Multiple version installation guidance Reply

I recently suffered a major PC crash, followed by building a new Win7 (64-bit) workstation and installing the latest Cadence 16.5 upgrades (Capture/Allegro).  No problems so far, but I also want to install my older tool versions (16.2 and 16.3) from my old machine, which was running WinXP.  I have the old file directories copied onto the new machine, but have not yet attempted an "install".

My real question - is there a practical way to "re-register" the old tool versions/directories into Win7, without re-installing them from scratch along with multiple hot-fixes.  I would like to not over-write my old "ini" and "env" settings with the installation process.  Other than changing the %CDSROOT% environment variable, I'm certain there are other other things that need to happen to get the older tools to run under Win7.

I am a reasonably experienced PC person, but would appreciate any guidance from the Cadence guru's here!

Thanks in advance.

Roger Green

Roger Green - B F Systems, LLC
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 7:18 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,454
    • Points 24,710
    Re: Multiple version installation guidance Reply
    Realistically speaking, the products need to be re-installed, just copying the files is not going to get you close to halfway to working. Save the settings files from the previous installation(s) so that you could, in theory, reuse them. Only the "last" of the hotfixes needs to be re-installed after product installation from the original product distribution. While 16.3 with the relevant hotfix applied was officially supported on Windows 7, 16.2 was never officially supported on Windows 7.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:07 AM

• Roger BFS
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 4 2011
    • Morrison, CO
    • Posts 67
    • Points 965
    Re: Multiple version installation guidance Reply

Thank you for your insight oldmouldy - point taken.  I'm just suffering frustration from spending most of my time the past couple of weeks installing software and fighting all the nuances of Win 7.

I have to maintain 16.2 for compatibility with some of my clients still using "Layout Plus".  Although they have recently upgraded some of their machines to Win 7, they have suffered the compatibility problems.  I have an XP virtual machine running on my new Win 7 box, so I think I will install the 16.2 tools there.  Hopefully there will not be problems running it from my host machine's disk drive, which is "remote desktop" accessed from the XP virtual machine.

Thanks again.

Roger Green - B F Systems, LLC
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Roger BFS at 07 Feb 2012 08:33 AM. Topic has 2 replies.