Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Plane creation in Orcad Layout V16.5

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Plane creation in Orcad Layout V16.5 

Last post Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:05 PM by PRASH36. 6 replies.
Started by alanf 26 Jan 2012 10:26 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 2282 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Jan 26 2012 10:26 AM

• alanf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 2 2011
    • Posts 8
    • Points 145
    Plane creation in Orcad Layout V16.5 Reply

I have a very odd shaped PCB outline and wish to make planes for it. Somewhere in my background I remember the ability to create a shape the same shape of the outline using the menus and being able to reduce the shape to be 50mil smallerthan the outline.

Does anyone remember this ability in Allegro.  I was using Allegro until 2 yrs ago but now use Orcad Layout.

The same with the routing keepin

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Jan 26 2012 10:51 AM

• rong96
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 22 2009
    • HOME, Ontario
    • Posts 19
    • Points 305
    Re: Plane creation in Orcad Layout V16.5 Reply

Use Edit>Z-copy

On the Options tab select the class and subclass to copy your board outline shape to. In the Size section select Contract with an offset of 50.

With these settings select your board shape and the new shape will be created on the specified class/subclass.

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Jan 26 2012 10:52 AM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 13 2008
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 707
    • Points 15,395
    Re: Plane creation in Orcad Layout V16.5 Reply
    Are you talking about Edit/Z-Copy?
    Dave Elder, Tait Communications
    • Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:37 AM

• alanf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 2 2011
    • Posts 8
    • Points 145
    RE: Plane creation in Orcad Layout V16.5 Reply
    Thakns guys. That was it.
    Saves lots of work when you remember how to use the software....lol.

Alan Fisch
    APF Circuit Design
    Ottawa, Ontario
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 2:07 PM

• N i z e
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Aabyhoej, Copenhagen
    • Posts 28
    • Points 410
    Re: Plane creation in Orcad Layout V16.5 - adding board edge clearing Reply

I'm obviously not working with Allegro/Orcad PCB (I think Layout is stone dead?) often enough.

But right now I'm trying to change an old board to include some clearing between etch and board outline. (Highly related to this pos, so I hope my intrusion will be forgiven ;-). It should be easy - but I can't figure it out: The fills are highly modifie but originates from a Z-copy of the curved board outline. If I "Z-copy shrink" it the internal borders are messed up. I thought adding a route keep in outline would help - but I (of course?) just get DRC errors. Next try was to add a shape in the "route keepout. I can Z-copy the outlines - but I can't combine them to make the needed hollow outline. This is probably not the smart way to do it - but it still annoys me that I can't create a complex hollow shape in Allegro. Is it possible at all?

Not sure what I'm missing. I think I'm missing a good search term - because I'm sure there's a smart way to create board edge clearing in Allegro. If someone has a quick hint it will be appreciated!

Cheers,

Anders  (on a Orcad PCB v16.2)

PS: I think my best bet now is using a shrinked Z-copy of the outline in the route keepout layer and then changing the trace width of this... 

• Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:58 PM

• N i z e
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Aabyhoej, Copenhagen
    • Posts 28
    • Points 410

[...]

N i z e:
    using a shrinked Z-copy of the outline in the route keepout layer and then changing the trace width of this... 

Forget this! The route keepout layer seemingly only support filled shapes. I ended up setting the grid to "nothing" and painstakingly modifying all the fills (by hand!) to fit the route keep in (a shrinked board outline). Feels insane to spend so long time on what basically must/should be computer/software task. Will be interesting to see how it should have been done (and what a valid search term is) ;-P

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:05 PM

• PRASH36
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2012
    • BANGLORE, Karnataka
    • Posts 38
    • Points 835

Hi

Pleas follow the below mentioned steps

1)First you convert the outline into filled shape by using (SHAPE--COMPOSE SHAPE),on the option tab  select  CLASS-board geometry,SUBCLASS-outline, select all the lines

2)Now add the Route Keepin using EDIT-Zcopy,on the option tab select ROUTE KEEPIN-All,and also give the offset value

3)After drawing route keepin decompose the outline shape using(Shape-decompose),follow the same steps as mentioned in first step (or Delete your original filled shape and you are left with a unfilled shape, a closed unfilled polygon).

Thanks

Prashanth

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by alanf at 26 Jan 2012 10:26 AM. Topic has 6 replies.