Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > new dimension feature in 16.5 - no mirroring of text anymore

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

new dimension feature in 16.5 - no mirroring of text anymore 

Last post Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:22 AM by Paul Fitzgeral. 5 replies.
Started by millereffect 17 Jan 2012 02:08 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1599 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 2:08 AM

new dimension feature in 16.5 - no mirroring of text anymore Reply

Hello,

I am trying to mirror the dimension text which I could in 16.3.

Now in 16.5 I could not find this feature anymore. Has anybody an idea how I could do that now?

Many thanks,

Mario

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Jan 19 2012 8:13 AM

• KoolKat
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 26 2011
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 59
    • Points 745
    Re: new dimension feature in 16.5 - no mirroring of text anymore Reply

Hi Mario,

Rather than use the new dimension environment it looks like we will have to put mirrored dimensions as simple text, lines, shapes (for filled arrows) on the dimension layer.

Good day.

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Jan 19 2012 11:59 PM

RE: new dimension feature in 16.5 - no mirroring of text anymore Reply
    Hi

what does it mean for me right now?

Is there any chance to get the text mirrored for the time being which I can chose instead? Otherwise this would be unbearable for a tool like that.

Please, specify more clearly what I can do right now?

Mario
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jan 20 2012 5:02 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 82
    • Points 4,690
    Re: RE: new dimension feature in 16.5 - no mirroring of text anymore Reply

The only suggestion that I have is to create a Plot File ( File > Export > IPF) and the load the plot file (.plt) back into Allegro (File > Import > IPF).   This will explode the dimensions into individual elements and you will be able to mirror the text again.

1. Change your Visibility to only show the dimensions
    2. File > Export > Plot
    3. File > Import > Plot
    4. Change Class and Subclass under Options Tab to the subclass to load the plot onto. (I would create a new subclass)
    5. Select a location to load the plot file. (Try to align the plot file to the original dimensions)

You may need to realign the load plot data to the existing dimensions if they don't line up.  I normally draw a crop mark at the lower left corner of data for export prior to creating the plot file so I have something easy to align with when loading the plot file back into Allegro. 

Sound like you should report this to Cadence as an enhancement request.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone
    Plexus Engineering Solutions

• Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Jan 20 2012 10:04 AM

• KoolKat
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 26 2011
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Posts 59
    • Points 745
    Re: RE: new dimension feature in 16.5 - no mirroring of text anymore Reply

Yes, the plot file would be the quickest way for you create your drawing and be able to mirror your text.  I would add a couple more things for you to consider.

1) Create a new board file with a good name i.e. fab_xxxx.brd or drldwg_xxxx.brd, where you can add a new page border and titleblock and then File>Import>IPF to bring the plot file in to the board file.  All of the stuff you import (text, lines, shapes, etc) will we written to layers Manufacturing>PenX, PenXX, etc.  You can edit and mirror this text.  You can plot this or create Gerber if needed. 

2) When you import the plot file into the new board file either make your alignment mark (if you want to place it in the exact location as the original board) or work in a very big grid of say 500 mils or 10 mm.

Side note:  When you import an IPF you can mirror, rotate and scale the whole plot.  After you slelect the plot just RMB (right mouse button) and select mirror, rotate and scale.

• Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:22 AM

Re: new dimension feature in 16.5 - no mirroring of text anymore Reply

Has this issue been addressed by Cadence yet? We're trying to add balloons on a secondary side assembly and need the balloon text to be mirrored. Short of plotting out and reading in un-intelligent data, is there a setting in Allegro I am missing?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by millereffect at 17 Jan 2012 02:08 AM. Topic has 5 replies.