Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > BGA padstack PCB Editor

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

BGA padstack PCB Editor 

Last post Mon, Nov 14 2011 6:05 AM by steve. 2 replies.
Started by KnowledgeSeek 13 Nov 2011 12:45 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 2075 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Nov 13 2011 12:45 PM

BGA padstack PCB Editor Reply

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the OrCad package. I'm trying to create a footprint for a DDR2 IC (MT47H128M16RT-25E:C) I'm going to use in my system. This IC comes in a 84 ball BGA package with 0.45mm ball diameter. What padstack do I use?

I'm using the Package Symbol Wizard. There is something called "Bgapad" in the padstack list, but it's not working, all I get when I'm done with the wizard is a polygon with no pins.

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Filed under: , ,
    • Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 12:47 AM

Re: BGA padstack PCB Editor Reply

Well, for now, I'm using the 4MM_RD padstack, with a width of 15.75mils(0.4mm).. It's the same padstack used by the OMAP-L138 footprint that I'm using provided by TI. The balls on the L138 seem to have the same dimensions(or at least within the same range: tolerance levels of 0.55/0.45 on the L138, while the DDR2 IC only states ø= 0.45) with the same pitch(0.8mm).

Someone please let me know if I'm way off. (I'm also fairly new to PCB design in general, as you might have guessed)

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 6:05 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,243
    • Points 20,215
    Re: BGA padstack PCB Editor Reply

The padstacks provided are just sample libraries. If you need a padstack of a different size then use the Pad Designer to create new ones. This way you can design a bga pad to suit. Have a look for c:\cadence\spb16.x\doc\algrolibdev\algrolibdev.pdf for details of pad and footprint creation.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by KnowledgeSeek at 13 Nov 2011 12:45 PM. Topic has 2 replies.