Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Logo-import tool doesn't work

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Logo-import tool doesn't work 

Last post Tue, Nov 15 2011 11:02 PM by Selina. 5 replies.
Started by Selina 11 Nov 2011 03:16 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 2132 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Nov 11 2011 3:16 AM

• Selina
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 11 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 60
    Logo-import tool doesn't work Reply
    I got the package "pcbeditor_setup_300", and ran the BAT files as the instructions included. When I click the "logo import" in the menu of PCB Editor, nothing happens, and there is an error in the command window, as "Error information 1" in the attachment. Then I added the environment variable "logomaker_utils". After this, when I click the "logo import", an error appears again, it is the "Error information 2" in the attachment. Would someone tell me how could this happen? What should I do to make the logo-import tool work? I'll be very grateful if someone helps me. My PC is running under WIN7 system, by the way.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Nov 11 2011 12:49 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,408
    • Points 24,030
    Re: Logo-import tool doesn't work Reply

Your best course is to contact whoever supplied the package "pcbeditor_setup_300" to you and ask them for detailled instructions.

If you need to get to the "original" version of the LogoMaker utility, look in the PCB Skill forum and search for logomaker. Dave Elder, the original author is also a regular contributor to posts there.

Your issue might be related to spaces and characters other than A-Z, 0-9, underscore and dash in file / path names for the utilities, or data. Due to the UNIX heritage of the SKILL environment, tolerance of parameters that are "illegal in UNIX" tends to be fairly low. (The directory 'slash' delimiters for Windows and UNIX are processed transparently though)

• Sun, Nov 13 2011 7:10 PM

• Selina
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 60
    Thank you for your reply! But the LogoMaker utility is downloaded from Cadence. And the man who gave me the link is a support of Cadence, and he told me to post my problem in this Forum as a way of asking for help. And this utility is installed under the default location, no space and other illegal characters. I think there must be some other things wrong.
    • Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 2:18 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,408
    • Points 24,030

News to me that Cadence are distributing this but Dave Elder published version 3.4, see this link:

http://www.cadence.com/Community/forums/t/13122.aspx?PageIndex=3

You need the Image Magik and Potrace utilities, the paths to these must not contain spaces. As far as I can tell from the source, two environment variables are required to locate the required utilities, rather than the one that you mentioned. Like most SKILL utilities, the menus are built "on the fly" and the design directory must be writable to allow this to work. This would normally be the case for the BRD file location. (See the start of the SKILL text for instructions on required utilities and configuration)

Dave Elder has worked very hard on making this utility work through a number of releases and many, many users have successfully imported their logos and other, less meaningful, pictures to their PCB Designs and libraries. If someone else has modified his work, they need to take responsibility for resolving your issues.

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Nov 14 2011 10:41 AM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 13 2008
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 736
    • Points 15,930
    Version 3.4 should work if installed correctly. It's not officially supported by either Cadence or me but I will help as much as I can. Please follow the installation instructions in the header of the file.
    Dave Elder, Tait Communications
  • Tue, Nov 15 2011 11:02 PM

• Selina
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 60
    Now it works. First, I must install "potrace" and "ImageMagick" in my PC, and add Environment Variables for these 2 softwares about the path. Then at the first time I open PCB Editor after all those changes are done, I should run PCB Editor by right click, select "Run as Administrator". Thank you very much, oldmouldy and Dave! You both helped me a lot!
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Selina at 11 Nov 2011 03:16 AM. Topic has 5 replies.