Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Edit or Replace Symbols in OrCad PCB 16.5?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Edit or Replace Symbols in OrCad PCB 16.5? 

Last post Tue, Nov 8 2011 1:40 PM by Khurana. 1 replies.
Started by ChimiChanga 08 Nov 2011 09:42 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 2384 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Nov 8 2011 9:42 AM

• ChimiChanga
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 8 2011
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    Edit or Replace Symbols in OrCad PCB 16.5? Reply
    Hi All,

I inherited a board design done in some previous version of Orcad with a .max extension.  I was able to import the board design into OrCAD PCB Editor 16.5 with a few warnings.  I was also able to import the project into Orcad Capture CIS (Also version 16.5).  My goal is to change out two (2) relays that have gone obsolete on this design with two updated relays.

With the goal of changing the design schematic, I first tried to create a netlist with Orcad Capture, but before the netlister can complete, I get the following error message:

Along with 386 errors ranging from  "Illegal character "Forward Slash(/)" found in "PCB Footprint"" to " Pin number missing from Pin "1" of Package R_120".  

I would like to avoid dealing with these 386 errors and jump right to editing the PCB layout instead due to the time and expense of fixing everything in the schematic to make it compatible with Orcad v16.5, so I was thinking of replacing the two relay symbols in the current PCB design with a new symbol that I created (.dra file).  Is this possible to do?

Would a better approach be to edit the existing relay symbols to match the new relay?

Thanks
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Nov 8 2011 1:40 PM

• Khurana
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 14 2008
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,300
    Re: Edit or Replace Symbols in OrCad PCB 16.5? Reply

Easiest method would be to 1) export placement file 2) delete the two relay footprints (symbols) so that they are off the board (v16.3 would require all symbols to be off the board) 3) change footprint name for the two relays in placement file to reflect new names 4) import placement file

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ChimiChanga at 08 Nov 2011 09:42 AM. Topic has 1 replies.