Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > NetList export from OrCAD to PADS or ALLEGRO

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

NetList export from OrCAD to PADS or ALLEGRO 

Last post Mon, Feb 13 2012 4:02 AM by BHOJARAJ. 8 replies.
Started by PCB EXPERT 18 Oct 2011 11:12 PM. Topic has 8 replies and 10074 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Oct 18 2011 11:12 PM

• PCB EXPERT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 19 2011
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85
    NetList export from OrCAD to PADS or ALLEGRO Reply

Exploring more options to "communicate" through different CAD software.

I'm now using Cadence Design Entry CIS to work on the schematic, and would like to export the netlist and import it into PADS and also ALLEGRO board design.

For PADS, when I export the netlist through:
    Tools --> Create Netlist... --> "Others" tab --> "orPadspcb.dll" then click OK.

The netlist been created, but one thing I found strange is, it doesn't export out the footprint/jedec information in the netlist. Wondering if PADS doesn't need this information when importing the netlist to PADS layout software? Or do I missed out anything when creating netlist in Design Entry CIS??

Thanks & regards!

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Oct 19 2011 10:01 AM

• wolfeman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 4 2011
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120
    Re: NetList export from OrCAD to PADS or ALLEGRO Reply

First how familiar are you with PADS?

With PADS (pending version you are using of PADS) you need to export the PADS2000 format pads2K.dll

there is a later version you can download that will also some back annotation? I think but if you are using

any version of PADS 9 or later you need to use the 2K output and will also need to modify the netlist

header 

FROM

*PADS2000*
    *PART*

TO

!PADS-POWERPCB-V9.2-BASIC!
    *REMARK* you can put comments here between the remark statements
    *REMARK*
    *PART*

Second PADS does not use footprint technically, PADS uses what is called a PART TYPE which in turn specifies a footprint (Decal)

so the item to the right of the Reference Designators in the netlist can be set to any field you want, but what ever comes out needs

to be the name of the part type say 0402 which in turn in PADS library will use an 0402 Decal (footprint) , other wise you will of course need to edit this netlist every time to replace all the fileds with PADS part type names instead fo what comes out of Orcad.

I don't remember where to edit this but you can control which field will get populated for footprint on th eorcad side.

hope this helps

• Wed, Oct 19 2011 10:26 AM

• wolfeman
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120

Remembered,

Under teh netlist create "Other" tab

that is where you can control what field will get populated in the netlist for footprint, or in this case it will eb a part type for PADS.

You will need to verify that all of your symbols/parts have a proper footprint filed defined

by making sure either Orcads default footprint field is correct or making your own field

and using that. But with this senario somebody (either layout guy or schematic entry) will be editing

a netlist each time there is an update unless you make the field coming out fo Orcad match

what the layout guys has for part types.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Nov 2 2011 9:18 AM

• PCB EXPERT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

wolfeman:

First how familiar are you with PADS?

With PADS (pending version you are using of PADS) you need to export the PADS2000 format pads2K.dll

there is a later version you can download that will also some back annotation? I think but if you are using

any version of PADS 9 or later you need to use the 2K output and will also need to modify the netlist

header 

FROM

*PADS2000*
    *PART*

TO

!PADS-POWERPCB-V9.2-BASIC!
    *REMARK* you can put comments here between the remark statements
    *REMARK*
    *PART*

Second PADS does not use footprint technically, PADS uses what is called a PART TYPE which in turn specifies a footprint (Decal)

so the item to the right of the Reference Designators in the netlist can be set to any field you want, but what ever comes out needs

to be the name of the part type say 0402 which in turn in PADS library will use an 0402 Decal (footprint) , other wise you will of course need to edit this netlist every time to replace all the fileds with PADS part type names instead fo what comes out of Orcad.

I don't remember where to edit this but you can control which field will get populated for footprint on th eorcad side.

hope this helps

Hi wolfeman, Thanks for the reply.

I don't really familiar to with PADS, that's why wanna explore more possibility from it.

All the while I am using Capture CIS for schematic and allegro for board design. But now I have PADS ESS licence for 1 month for evaluation, so would like to take the opportunity to get more information.

Back to the topic, I did try to edit the header then only import into the board, but still fail and it always shows the error below:

"Can't find part Type item < C1005-1608 >"
    "C10              C1005-1608"

* C1005-1608 already included in the library.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

• Wed, Nov 2 2011 9:32 AM

• PCB EXPERT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

Another few Questions:

Even have errors, when I import the nets to a new blank board, I can still see the "rats net" after disperse the components, but component pads and silkscreen are all missing, any idea?

Anyone know how to export the netlist (3x *.dat files) from OrCAD Design CIS to use in allegro?

Thanks in advance.

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Nov 2 2011 10:03 AM

• wolfeman
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 120

OK well from first post,

Again as I said in first responce, you must have a part type defined that is actually in a library.

These warnings/erros can be cryptic, but, either one of two things you did not use the ECO process

after a first load of net list or just imported netlist and parts are really already there. Or in fact you do

not have a Part Type in your library for C1005-1608.

As far as pads outline etc not showing up but Rats Nets or connections are, under Setup/Display Colors,

you most likely have some items set to color Black or full layers turned off, but have connections set to white.

Connections will remane visible if set to a color other than black even if all parts etc are set to black

and are not visible. YOu also may have not put what you thought would be silkscreen on the right layer in Decal?

Back to first post without really seeing a netlist your libs and how you have things set up it is a litttle difficult to diagnose

but again most likely simple solutions are either parts are really already in design becuase of the way you loaded/imported netlist

and are just not visible, or you really do not have the part type in lib you really need for this Cap.

• Thu, Nov 3 2011 9:12 AM

• tjtan81
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55
    wolfeman:

OK well from first post,

Again as I said in first responce, you must have a part type defined that is actually in a library.

These warnings/erros can be cryptic, but, either one of two things you did not use the ECO process

after a first load of net list or just imported netlist and parts are really already there. Or in fact you do

As far as pads outline etc not showing up but Rats Nets or connections are, under Setup/Display Colors,

you most likely have some items set to color Black or full layers turned off, but have connections set to white.

Connections will remane visible if set to a color other than black even if all parts etc are set to black

and are not visible. YOu also may have not put what you thought would be silkscreen on the right layer in Decal?

Back to first post without really seeing a netlist your libs and how you have things set up it is a litttle difficult to diagnose

but again most likely simple solutions are either parts are really already in design becuase of the way you loaded/imported netlist

and are just not visible, or you really do not have the part type in lib you really need for this Cap.

• Thu, Nov 3 2011 9:28 AM

• PCB EXPERT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85
    wolfeman:

OK well from first post,

Again, thanks for the reply.

1. Yes, I didn't use the ECO process to import the net into the board that already have nets and part, so I's tried again this morning, again , FAIL.

2. I'm actually exported out the parts and decal from other succesful board and use it in my design, so DECAL shouldn't have problem. and also, I had already turn one all the layers and changed the color before my previous post, but untill now, I can only see 5 footprint on the board, all other are missing, n left the rats nets in the board.

I think I will temporary on hold to use PADS now, need to clear up my mind then only continue.

Will concentrate on exporting nets from ORCAD to ALLEGRO now, any idea the way to export the net to allegro? I couldn't see any selection to export the net in allegro format.

Thanks in advance!

• Mon, Feb 13 2012 4:02 AM

• BHOJARAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 24 2011
    • bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45
    Hi wolfeman, Thanks for for sharing your experience here,itz 100% working.
    Regards, BHOJARAJ G O Avench Systems Bangalore.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by PCB EXPERT at 18 Oct 2011 11:12 PM. Topic has 8 replies.