Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Maximum Package Height

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Maximum Package Height 

Last post Mon, Jul 29 2013 10:25 PM by girish. 8 replies.
Started by BuddSw 27 Sep 2011 10:05 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 2927 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Sep 27 2011 10:05 AM

• BuddSw
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, May 12 2011
    • Posts 35
    • Points 500
    Maximum Package Height Reply

I am using Allegro PCB Editor 16.3.  Although I have used this product for a while I've never needed to add Maximum Package Height as something to flag using DRC.  I've looked in the documentation and the only constraint-setting information I can find is for spacing/width/pairing type stuff.  Where can I find the documentation to set up maximum height constraints?  I know I can manually check each package on the board for it's Max Height property that is far from ideal.

I will be grateful for any insight that can be given.

Budd S.

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Sep 28 2011 1:41 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,367
    • Points 23,285
    Re: Maximum Package Height Reply
    Your part needs to have a Package Boundary, on Package Geometry / Place Bound Top, Setup>Areas>Package Boundary, then use Setup>Areas>Package Height, select the Package Boundary and assign the Maximum Height in the Options tab. Right-click>Done to finish. (Also see algrolibdev.pdf in the doc\algrolibdev directory of the installation, page 42 for Defining Symbol Heights)
  • Wed, Sep 28 2011 7:20 AM

• BuddSw
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, May 12 2011
    • Posts 35
    • Points 500

Thank you.  All of the parts I have created have the package boundry defined and the Max Height property attached.  What I don't know how to do is to set up the .brd file to have areas where I specify the maximum allowable height of a component for that area.  For instance, I have an area where the component height can't be more than 200 mils.  I have components in my design that are up to 620 mils in height.  I'm looking for how to have accidentally placed components that exceed 200 mils in the restricted area trigger a DRC error.  Is that possible?  It would seem so if we are putting Max Height properties into the footprints.+

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Sep 28 2011 8:38 AM

• Rik Lee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 2 2008
    • HOME, SC
    • Posts 166
    • Points 2,730
    In the board drawing add a PACKAGE_KEEPOUT shape (top or bottom) and add the properties PACKAGE_HEIGHT_MAX and or PACKAGE_HEIGHT_MIN to define the keepout checking height(s).

Cadence ONline Support solution 11612438 describes various scenarios and has a board file attached which shows how the keepout and it's heights are used.

http://support.cadence.com/wps/mypoc/cos?uri=deeplinkmin:ViewSolution;solutionNumber=11612438;searchHash=1c6ce5a55c44a3897e80651150ffacc6
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:04 AM

• mvonahnen
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2008
    • Posts 131
    • Points 2,435

I have done this, but I am always getting DRC errors for PACKAGE_HEIGHT_MIN even though I have not set a property in the keepout region for this.

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:15 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,367
    • Points 23,285

OK, for a keepout, Package_Height_Min is going to be 0 if you don't specify a value, that's going to be the board surface, so any parts placed within the boundary of that shape will cause a DRC. You increase the Package_Height_Min property of a Package Keepout to raise it off the board surface to allow parts with a height of less than, or equal to, the Package_Height_Min to be placed there without a DRC, parts with Package_Height_Max of greater than the Package_Height_Min of the Keepout will generate a DRC.

• Thu, Jul 25 2013 3:49 AM

• pmedronho
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 25 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25

Hello..I am new user of PCB EDITOR. I have dificulte to create a circular package boundary (example: electrolthic capacitor).

Can you help me? There is any video or information about this!?

Thank you.

Pedro Medronho 

• Thu, Jul 25 2013 4:30 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,162
    • Points 18,880

Shape - Circular, set the class/subclass to Package Geometry/Place_Bound_Top (in the fold out Options menu on the right hand side of the screen) and then draw the circle you want. If your using 16.6 look at the Options menu and you can set the size you require and then Place Circle option and it will be attached to your mouse ready to place.

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Jul 29 2013 10:25 PM

• girish
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 241
    • Points 4,920

Dear  BuddSW ,

This may not be the correct procedure but its simple way I follow  when I have a height restriction in some area during placement  . Draw package keepout in the area where you have a height restriction & assign the height limit for that shape( say 100mils) , when you view this in 3D veiw you will notice if any part placed which height is more than 100mil will protrude  out as shown in image, but the issue here is you get CC error for all part placed inside that keepout 

Regards,

GK 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by BuddSw at 27 Sep 2011 10:05 AM. Topic has 8 replies.