Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Reg: SMA connector

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Reg: SMA connector 

Last post Wed, Sep 21 2011 5:31 AM by UlfK. 4 replies.
Started by C Shiva 15 Sep 2011 11:01 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 3970 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Sep 15 2011 11:01 PM

• C Shiva
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 168
    • Points 3,470
    Reg: SMA connector Reply

Hi,

I have to create an SMA connector library, but i didn't find proper dimension in data sheet and even net. Attached the image of SMA connector and what might be the dimension of A,B and C? And also the trace width? I think B is 4mm and 1.1mm and 2.2mm holes are Plated TH.

Any input will be appreciated.

Regards,

Shiva.

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Sep 15 2011 11:02 PM

• C Shiva
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 168
    • Points 3,470
    Reg: SMA connector Reply

SMA connector

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Sep 16 2011 9:40 AM

• KEN13
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 6 2008
    • Pleasant Valley, CT
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,800
    Re: Reg: SMA connector Reply

Shiva,

I would call the manufacuter tech support for the part and ask them for the recommended land patter for the part.  I have had to do this on multiple occasions when the data sheet wasn't sufficient.

Ken

Have a good day, Ken Capture 16.5 S022, Layout 16.2.0p001, PCB Editor 16.5 S025
  • Sun, Sep 18 2011 10:27 PM

• C Shiva
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 168
    • Points 3,470

Thanks KEN for your kind reply.

• Wed, Sep 21 2011 5:31 AM

• UlfK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 27 2009
    • ONSALA, Sweden
    • Posts 16
    • Points 250

Not all manufacturer offers free footprints. To many, maintaining a library

of such is difficult. For instance, handeling the solder mask openings vs copper surfaces

differs from region to region. There is always a risk that you will end up trusting a footprint that

you yourself did not create according to your companys specifications.

I regularly create footprints of simple and more complex connectors, and what I look for

besides drawings and dimensions are .DXF-files. I am not endorsing any company ove another, but for instance

Tyco has a very good library of both datasheets and .DXF's.

So:

1. I download the drawing, and use the create footprint wizard in PCB-Editor in order to create

the connector pins and the mounting holes. In almost all cases, there are quite a bit of manual

calculations that has to be done, since mech guys simply do not use how to apply dimensions to a footprint.

While the connector pins can be easily defined, the mounting holes always has to be added manually

and here you have a choise wether to make them mechanical or electrical. Making them mechanical will not

enable you to attach them to a net, which is important in case of ESD-requirement (if the body is of metal

of course).

2. I then delete the automatically created outline (ASSY / SILK) and instead use the downloaded .DXF...

3. Open the .DXF in a mechanical CAD program (such as AutoCAD Lite). Edit the drawing

and/or scale it to the same unit of measure used in the PCB Editor. PURGE unneccesary/unused layers.

3. Open the newly created footprint in the PCB Editor, and choose Import | DXF. Make an INCREMENTAL (!) Addition and map the .DXF layers to the ones that you want (ASSY / SILK). (takes a bit of training but this is well worth it!)

4. Proceed with Import and note that the outline ends up somewhere really outside the drawing extent (Hey Cadence: This is a bug in the PCB Editor - It does not matter if the UCS/Zero is correctly set using the Mechanical CAD or not).

5. By properly choosing entities, now move the outline to its correct location using keyboard entry or simply by

enlarging the drawing enough to minimize optical error.

After importing the outline, modifying the DFA_Bound and PLACE_Bound is very simple.

Enjoy!

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by C Shiva at 15 Sep 2011 11:01 PM. Topic has 4 replies.