Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > Optimization of Matching Network in Cadence

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Optimization of Matching Network in Cadence 

Last post Wed, Oct 26 2011 6:43 AM by hmcheema. 6 replies.
Started by nadroit 12 Jul 2011 12:13 PM. Topic has 6 replies and 5588 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jul 12 2011 12:13 PM

• nadroit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 12 2011
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140
    Optimization of Matching Network in Cadence Reply

Hi All

As a part of understanding how to optimize matching networks in cadence I am designing a matching network to match 10 ohm load to 50 ohms source at 6Ghz. I am using simple L matching network and I know all the equations required. I come up with the required values of L and C. Simulation shows real part of input impedance to be 50 ohms when I use ideal inductor and capacitor. Now I keep ideal capacitor and use inductor provided by tsmc 0.13um process. As expected (because of component Q) real part of input impedance is dropped to 45 ohms. I want to know how I can use cadence to automatically optimize this or any other matching network. I found that ADE GXL can be used for optimization but when I read the manual I thought it can be used for only Anlog Circuits (matching devices etc). Please let me know how I can use cadence to do the optimization of matching networks.

Thanks in Advance

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 5:45 PM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 10 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 216
    • Points 5,720
    RE: Optimization of Matching Network in Cadence Reply

Hi nadroit,

I'm not sure if I sent this already....if so, my apologies for the duplication.

You should be able to use ADE XL with all spectre analyses (analog, mixed signal, RF).    It sounds like spectre sp analysis (linear s-parameter analysis) is what you are looking for.  You would use ports on the input and output.

best regards,

Tawna

Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
  • Thu, Jul 14 2011 9:29 AM

• nadroit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140
    Re: RE: Optimization of Matching Network in Cadence Reply

Hi Tawna

Thanks for the reply. I know how to do .sp analysis with ADE XL. I was trying to use optimization in ADE GXL (local and global) to tune the values of L and C in L matching network. I could run the simulation with out errors but GXL did not give me optimized values. I searched the GXL documentation and found out the optimization was used for lot of Analog Designs (eg optimising opamp gain etc). My question is can I use the optimization for RF applications like fine tunning the matching netwrok? if yes do you have any tutorial which I can follow?

Thanks

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jul 15 2011 4:41 PM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 216
    • Points 5,720
    RE: RE: Optimization of Matching Network in Cadence Reply

Hi nadroit,

Unfortunately, I do not have any examples for doing this (and I agree - one is needed).
    Would you please file a Service Request with Cadence Customer Support so an AE can
    work on this for you?   (In fact, it likely could be me working on it!)   http://support.cadence.com  .

You should be able to use ADE GXL optimization for RF applications without any issues.

best regards,

Tawna

Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
  • Sat, Jul 16 2011 9:37 AM

• nadroit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 140
    Re: RE: RE: Optimization of Matching Network in Cadence Reply

HI Tawna

Again thanks for the reply. I thought that it should be simple to run RF optmization on GXL but could not figure it out. There might some small thing I doing wrong. It would be great if I can get some kind of tutorial from cadence. I will post the request on the site you mentioned but it looks like I need to know some licence information to open the account for that site. Meantime if you come accross some tutorial on RF optimization using GXL please do share.

Thanks

• Post Points: 35
  • Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:13 AM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 216
    • Points 5,720
    RE: RE: RE: Optimization of Matching Network in Cadence Reply

Hi nadroit,

You do have to be a Cadence Customer on maintenance to access Cadence Online Support.
    If you are a University student, you'll need to talk to your Cadence liaison there to file a Service Request.
    There are no tutorials yet for this...but I think it's a great idea!  I'm sure it would be simple...
    but you would need to file a Service Request to get help on this issue.

best regards,

Tawna

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Oct 26 2011 6:43 AM

• hmcheema
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 26 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 65
    Re: RE: RE: Optimization of Matching Network in Cadence Reply

Nadroit,

You can read chapter-2 of the Virtuoso Analog Design Environment GXL User Guide on circuit optimization. It has most of the information you need to run an optimization.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by nadroit at 12 Jul 2011 12:13 PM. Topic has 6 replies.