Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Layout User defined property text position

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Layout User defined property text position 

Last post Thu, Sep 8 2011 3:00 AM by pcbskill. 3 replies.
Started by Zardoz 11 Jul 2011 07:43 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 1898 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jul 11 2011 7:43 AM

• Zardoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 8 2009
    • Reno, NV
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70
    Layout User defined property text position Reply

Is there a way to  define position of the text so it does not change when updating symbols.

I have assigned a user define property called "Valuename" in Capture, which is displayed in Layout.

This property is turned on, in Allegro PCB Editor, from the command bar "Display", "Property" and "Graphics" (Tab).  When first turned on the text is diplayed at the origin of the part (In my case pin-1 of a connector).

This is not a good location, since the text is not legible.  I move the text to a good location, but every time the symbols are udated the user defined property has to be turned on and all text goes back to it's origin.

There must be a better way!

I am using Allegro PCB Editor version 16.3

Thanks,

Edward J

Allegro PCB Designer OrCad Capure CIS Version 16.5
    Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Jul 11 2011 10:55 PM

• Prasanna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 16 2008
    • Bangalore, Karnataka
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,705
    Re: Layout User defined property text position Reply

Zardoz:

This is not a good location, since the text is not legible.  I move the text to a good location, but every time the symbols are udated the user defined property has to be turned on and all text goes back to it's origin.

If you are updating the symbol everytime by importing the netlist, then the symbol takes its reference des, from the library. It will reflect how it was done in the library.

If you talking about updating the symbol using the option under Place > Update symbols.. , then dont check the  "Reset symbol text location and zise" option  in update window. This will keep your ref. des. in the previous place.

Hope this helps...

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 8:18 AM

• Zardoz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 8 2009
    • Reno, NV
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70

I am aware of checking the "Reset symbol text location and size" option, but this for the Reference designators only.  I am refering to the "User Defined Properties" that can be transfered from Schematic Capture to Layout.  This property is turned on using the Display Property pop-up, Graphics tab. When turned on it shows up on the Manufacturing (Class) Properties (Subclass) layer.

I am use to OrCad Layout where I can attach the User Defined Property to the Footprint, thereby giving it a predefined location, just like reference designators.

There does not appear to be the case with Allegro.  I am restricted to predefined "Class" properties.  Anyhow, I saw some other people were experiencing similar problems getting the "User Defined Properities" to work back in 2008, but there was no mention of controlling or fixing the text location.

Thanks for your input

Edward J

Allegro PCB Designer OrCad Capure CIS Version 16.5
  • Thu, Sep 8 2011 3:00 AM

• pcbskill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 4 2009
    • Shanghai, Shanghai
    • Posts 8
    • Points 85

Hi someone?

I got the same issue, please help double confirm and and fix it. thank you very much.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Zardoz at 11 Jul 2011 07:43 AM. Topic has 3 replies.