Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > How to convert a board into a symbol

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to convert a board into a symbol 

Last post Wed, Mar 30 2011 6:59 AM by Allan M. 3 replies.
Started by Allan M 29 Mar 2011 02:39 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 1668 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Mar 29 2011 2:39 PM

• Allan M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 23 2009
    • Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • Posts 43
    • Points 710
    How to convert a board into a symbol Reply

Does anybody know how to create a symbol from a simple board file? 

Let's say I have a board with a bunch of components on it, plus two connectors.  These connectors are board-to-board stackable connectors.  I want an easy way to position the connectors on my motherboard.

So, I take a copy of this board file and delete everything on it except the board outline, the padstacks for the stackable connectors, and the pin number text for one of the connectors.  Now I want to make a symbol out of this that I can place on my motherboard, without having to calculate the offsets of each connector.  I can't figure out how to do that.  Can anybody help me?

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Mar 29 2011 3:16 PM

• eDave
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 13 2008
    • Christchurch, 00-NZ
    • Posts 720
    • Points 15,625
    Re: How to convert a board into a symbol Reply

Creating a mechanical symbol for a board is relatively easy via Skill. I can give you some code for this. However, this will not place the connectors for you - it will just give you a graphical representation of their location. You will still have to place them.

Many companies use a mechanical tool such as Pro-Engineer via an interface to achieve this type of placement.

Dave Elder, Tait Communications
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Mar 30 2011 5:29 AM

• Allan M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • Posts 43
    • Points 710
    Re: How to convert a board into a symbol Reply

Sorry, but I have never used a Skill script before - my tier of tool doesn't support Skill very well (OrCAD PCB Designer) anyway.

Anyway, being stubborn, I just tried an experiment - I took my board file, with just the two connectors (pads only, all lines and shapes deleted) and the board outline, and exported the remaining features to a subdrawing (clipboard file).  When I imported the clipboard file into a symbol, it seems the padstacks were preserved.  Next, I will try to renumber the pads, turn the board outline into a place outline, and try to place the symbol into another board.  If that works, I'll report my results.

If anybody else out there has done this, please chime in - I'd like to know if there are any gotcha's.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Mar 30 2011 6:59 AM

• Allan M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • Posts 43
    • Points 710
    Re: How to convert a board into a symbol Answer Reply

That actually worked.  So, I guess I came up with my own answer.  Hopefully this will help others.

There are a couple of tricky parts - if a connector footprint is being changed from SMT to Thruhole, for example, and the origin  of the SMT part is in the centre instead of at pin 1, you need to make sure the replacement TH part also has the origin at the centre  (do this to the board design before exporting to a subdrawing).  Also, all connectors need to be on the same side.  If a connector is on the bottom, you need to rotate and mirror (again, do this before exporting).

Finally, because the board is stacked, the symbol needs to be mirrored when placed.  So, put the refdes and outline silk on the bottom so that they appear at the top when mirrored (do this to the symbol).

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Allan M at 29 Mar 2011 02:39 PM. Topic has 3 replies.