Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > How to put Region/Fence out of core boundary?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to put Region/Fence out of core boundary? 

Last post Mon, Jul 23 2012 6:21 AM by Diegofer. 3 replies.
Started by archive 10 Jun 2008 10:24 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 2853 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 10:24 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    How to put Region/Fence out of core boundary? Reply

How to put Region/Fence out of core boundary?

I want to put my Fence out of the core boundary, since I need to make a partition that includes IOs. I try to do this, but Encounter do not allow!

Need help.

BRs

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by eminemshow
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 6:15 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: How to put Region/Fence out of core boundary? Reply

Hello,

When I've worked with designs like this in the past, I've found it best to define the floorplan such that the rows flood the entire die area. This can be achieved using Floorplan->Specify Floorplan->Specify By: Die/IO/Core Coordinates and settings all 3 boxes to be the size of the die area. If this approach is taken, then you should be able to create the fences as you desire, because the core area will effectively extend to where the IO cells are placed, and standard cells will not wander off into the IO area because there are fixed IO cells there obstructing the placeable area. I like this approach because it is more consistent with the long-standing First Encounter partitioning default whereby the partition/fence boundary nicely aligns with the standard cell rows vertically and m2 pitch horizontally.

If you'd like to keep the floorplan defined as it is for some reason, you should be able to change the guide/region/fence snapping preference (Design->Preferences->Floorplan) to "Manufacturing Grid". This should allow you to create a fence outside of the core box. I tested this using 7.1.USR2 and see it working. Please post back if you don't see same- there may be a different approach needed in older software versions.

Hope this helps,
    Bob

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by BobD
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thu, Jun 12 2008 12:18 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: How to put Region/Fence out of core boundary? Reply

Posted By BobD on 6/11/2008 6:15 AM
    Hello,

When I've worked with designs like this in the past, I've found it best to define the floorplan such that the rows flood the entire die area. This can be achieved using Floorplan->Specify Floorplan->Specify By: Die/IO/Core Coordinates and settings all 3 boxes to be the size of the die area. If this approach is taken, then you should be able to create the fences as you desire, because the core area will effectively extend to where the IO cells are placed, and standard cells will not wander off into the IO area because there are fixed IO cells there obstructing the placeable area. I like this approach because it is more consistent with the long-standing First Encounter partitioning default whereby the partition/fence boundary nicely aligns with the standard cell rows vertically and m2 pitch horizontally.

If you'd like to keep the floorplan defined as it is for some reason, you should be able to change the guide/region/fence snapping preference (Design->Preferences->Floorplan) to "Manufacturing Grid". This should allow you to create a fence outside of the core box. I tested this using 7.1.USR2 and see it working. Please post back if you don't see same- there may be a different approach needed in older software versions.

Hope this helps,
    Bob

Thank you for your constructive suggestion, bob.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by eminemshow
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Jul 23 2012 6:21 AM

• Diegofer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 23 2012
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5
    Re: RE: How to put Region/Fence out of core boundary? Reply

I try to do this but I have 11.10 version, and it is different. How could I do it?

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 10 Jun 2008 10:24 PM. Topic has 3 replies.