Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > viewing Layout gerber in Allegro

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

viewing Layout gerber in Allegro 

Last post Wed, Mar 16 2011 3:23 AM by steve. 1 replies.
Started by sharted 15 Mar 2011 11:46 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 5048 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Mar 15 2011 11:46 AM

• sharted
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 16 2010
    • Posts 19
    • Points 320
    viewing Layout gerber in Allegro Reply

I have some Gerber files (generated by Orcad Layout) that I want to view with Allegro PCB Editor (V16), but I am having trouble importing them.

I am using File>import>artwork, then selecting my files.  once I do this, it gives me errors because I don't have a art_param.txt file in the directory or a art_aper.txt.  I tried to work-around by generating gerber files from an existing project in 4x00 format and hit AUTO in aperature settings.  this created the two missing files.  I copy-pasted these files into the directory with the Orcad Layout and then tried to import, but I think my aperatures are way off.  all of the lines on the imported gerber files end up way too large.  here is a picture of what I get after I do this process:

failed gerber import

as you can see, all of the lines are way too fat.  however, the text near the top-right seems good.  what do I need to fix in order to view these files in Allegro?

would it help if I posed my art_param and art_aperature files?

Thanks

Filed under: , , , ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Mar 16 2011 3:23 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 19,555
    Re: viewing Layout gerber in Allegro Reply

Allegro / Orcad PCB Editor are great at viewing artworks created by Allegro / Orcad PCB Editor. For other gerber data generated by different tools you can do it but there is lots of work to do with apertures etc to make it work and it's not worth the effort. If you just want to view gerber files then get something like GC-Prevue or viewmate from the web (free version's available). Much easier.....

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by sharted at 15 Mar 2011 11:46 AM. Topic has 1 replies.