Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > Addition of Noise file to input voltage source of Cadence Spetcre

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Addition of Noise file to input voltage source of Cadence Spetcre 

Last post Thu, May 30 2013 11:28 AM by HamidKhatibi. 18 replies.
Started by Analog Design 03 Mar 2011 05:24 AM. Topic has 18 replies and 9600 views
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 5:24 AM

Addition of Noise file to input voltage source of Cadence Spetcre Reply

Hi.,

I am facing problem in  adding noise in  transient analysis in cadence spectre .

Can help me how to add noise as input source for transient analysis using simulator cadence spectre .

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 12:00 PM

Re: Addition of Noise file to input voltage source of Cadence Spetcre Reply
    Sorry, but your question is not very clear.

If you are trying to add noise to a voltage source, have you tried using the options on the vsource component in analogLib (if indeed that's what you are using) to specify either noise/frequency pairs or a file containing such pairs in columns?

Best Regards,

Andrew
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 9:02 PM

Thank u,
    Yes ,what r u approaching ,thats I am also trying . But how to do
    it I do;t know . If u send me some sreenshot of simulation
    procedure & Its result ,I will be very thankful to u .
    • Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Mar 4 2011 10:16 PM

Hi Andrew,
    Thank u for suggestion . But I am not able to get  ,file(noise &
    frequency) format which to be added to vsource component and
    also whats the procedure to add it to vsource . Can by this way
    noise effect  be analysed in transient analysis .
  • Tue, Mar 8 2011 9:07 PM

Addition of noise file in transient analysis Reply

Hi............,

I wan to do transient analysis by noise signal in cadence spectre(version 5.4). Means I wan to give noise signal as vsource .Then ,how would it can be made a noise source which act as vsource(or vpulse type) for transient simulation . Or is there any other approach to do this noise analysis in transient analysis . Can any1 help me ?

• Wed, Mar 9 2011 6:04 AM

Re: Addition of noise file in transient analysis Reply

First of all, please write full English words. You are not paying by the character here, so there is no need to abbreviate proper English words to "u" or "ur" or "any1". My natural inclination is to ignore any post written using such "text speak" because it is so difficult to comprehend - and even more so if English is not your first language (which is fair enough) and so I have to compensate for that too.

I merged all the different posts together on this. Asking the same question again (with no more information than the first time) is unlikely to increase your chances of  getting an answer quickly. Given that everyone here is answering these forum questions as a community activity, the more detail and precision you can give, the better.

I already explained how to do this, so I am at a loss to know what the problem is. You did not say what  you'd tried and what exactly did not work.

It's as simple as this:

1. Create a file with two columns - the first is the frequency in Hertz, and the second is the noise PSD in V^2/Hz
    2. On the voltage source, specify the noisefile parameter to reference this file. For example, using the "vsource" component from analogLib, or if in the netlist, something like:
          noiseSrc (PLUS MINUS) vsource type=dc noisefile="noise1.txt"
    3. In ADE, do a Choose Analysis and set up your transient. Enable the checkboxes to allow transient noise and fill in the noisefmax (maximum frequency that it will include noise contributions from) and quite likely the noisefmin too (the lowest frequency) - otherwise it will only include white noise at the values found at noisefmax. See "spectre -h tran" for more details, or read the manual.

That's it. Not hard. If this doesn't work, please explain precisely (using real words) what you were doing, what happened, what version of the IC environment and what version of spectre you were using, and any error messages that were given.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Sun, May 6 2012 9:27 AM

Re: Noise input form file for vsource Reply

First of all, the Forum Guidelines say that you should not append new questions onto an existing, old post. 

You can do what you want using Verilog-A. This has functions to generate white and flicker noise with coefficients, which should allow you to get the kind of shaping you want.

Andrew.

• Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:58 AM

• Songshu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 10 2012
    • San Jose, CA
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20

hi andrew:

how to create a noiseless resistor instance in spectre ac noise analysis?

thanks.

jian

Filed under:
  • Sat, Nov 10 2012 8:04 AM

Putting aside the fact that you didn't read the previous entry in the post telling the previous appender not to append an old thread (especially when your question is not about noise files nor is it about transient analysis), as covered in the forum guidelines, you can do this by using the "isnoisy" parameter on a resistor (in analogLib this shows up as "Generate Noise" or something like that).

Alternatively there is (in recent IC versions in conjunction with recent MMSIM versions) a field on the Simulation->Options->Analog form which allows you to specify which devices do or don't include noise.

Regards,

Andrew

• Wed, May 15 2013 1:35 PM

• HamidKhatibi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Ithaca, NY
    • Posts 38
    • Points 580
    Hi Andrew I needed to turn off the noise of some of my devices and as you mentioned I checked ADE L--Simulation--Options--Analog, but I could not find where I can do that. Would you please specify how it can be done exactly? Best Hamid
  • Fri, May 17 2013 2:11 AM

Which version of the IC tools and MMSIM tools are you using? Type "virtuoso -W" and "spectre -W" in the UNIX terminal window to find out...

It would be at the bottom of the Main tab on the Simulation Options Analog form, as shown in the picture.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, May 17 2013 5:45 AM

• HamidKhatibi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Ithaca, NY
    • Posts 38
    • Points 580

Thank you for your answer. I do not have this option!

Virtuoos: IC6.1.5.500.16.2

Spectre: 7.2.0.307.isr10

Is there any other way to do that?

Best

Hamid

• Fri, May 17 2013 6:06 AM

Hi Hamid,

You're using too old a version of spectre. You're using a bang up to date version of the IC tools, but are 3 major releases back on the simulator... there have been MMSIM10.1, MMSIM11.1 and MMSIM12.1 in the meantime. I suggest you move to the latest MMSIM12.1 hotfix.

With this, you can do what you want.

Andrew.

• Fri, May 17 2013 6:16 AM

• HamidKhatibi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Ithaca, NY
    • Posts 38
    • Points 580

Thank you very much Andrew.

I should talk with my advisor :-)

Meanwhile, is there any other way to turn off some device's noise?

Best
    Hamid

• Fri, May 17 2013 6:23 AM

Not really. Some models and devices have the ability to turn off noise - e.g. resistors have an isnoisy parameter. In general you'd need this enhancement.

It does seem odd to use a very up to date IC version and a (at least) 3 year old simulator release. Normally people stay more up to date with the simulator than the IC release!

Regards,

Andrew.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
Started by Analog Design at 03 Mar 2011 05:24 AM. Topic has 18 replies.