Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Cannot place parts in PCB editor 16.2

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Cannot place parts in PCB editor 16.2 

Last post Thu, Feb 24 2011 5:51 AM by gtaylor. 3 replies.
Started by karac 23 Feb 2011 02:01 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 2317 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 2:01 PM

• karac
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 23 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40
    Cannot place parts in PCB editor 16.2 Reply

I am a newbie and am trying to design my first PCB. I've made my schematic, pads, footprints, generating netlist and even created my board outline. But I cannot place any of my parts! I cannot find/see my "Placement Edit" button (only Generaledit and Etchedit). And when I try to Place --> Manually, I cannot place any of my parts on the board. Also, there are no graphics for any of my parts in the Quickview window. Two items of interest in my viewlog are the following messages: "Warnin: unplaced components are not PLACE TAGGED." and "ERROR: No placement grid was found." Please help! I tried Place --> Autoplace --> Top Grids to insert a placement grid. But I still cannot figure out how to place parts.

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:03 AM

• gtaylor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 2 2010
    • Southampton, Hampshire
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275
    Re: Cannot place parts in PCB editor 16.2 Reply

Can you see the list of parts that youre trying to place in the popup window when going to place ---> manually? If so, theres a chance your settings arent pointed to the correct path for your footprints.

Go to setup ---> user preferences ---> in the categories tab click paths  ---> library

... and make sure the address to your footprints/padstacks is set up correctly.

• Thu, Feb 24 2011 5:34 AM

• karac
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 23 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Thanks, that did the trick! I thought I had set up the paths to my footprints/padstacks, but the paths were missing the last folder. I can place my parts now. But shouldn't I be able to see a PlacementEdit button also?

• Thu, Feb 24 2011 5:51 AM

• gtaylor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 2 2010
    • Southampton, Hampshire
    • Posts 19
    • Points 275

Not sure what you mean, but to edit parts once youve placed them, use the cursor icon and then click on the component you want to move. Either that or in general edit right click on the component and then choose from the options of 'move', 'delete', 'spin', 'change layer' etc.

Is that what you meant?

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by karac at 23 Feb 2011 02:01 PM. Topic has 3 replies.