Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Signal Name - Global Rename in Capture

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Signal Name - Global Rename in Capture 

Last post Tue, Sep 13 2011 8:07 AM by paragc. 8 replies.
Started by Liana 09 Feb 2011 04:32 PM. Topic has 8 replies and 6736 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Feb 9 2011 4:32 PM

• Liana
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 20 2009
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110
    Signal Name - Global Rename in Capture Reply

I have a schematic with a few hundred signal names that start with DataXXXX.  We need to change these to RXXXX.  Is there a way to change these globablly rather than editing them one by one?  They are offpage connector net names....

Thanks!

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:57 PM

• paragc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 4 2009
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 23
    • Points 295
    Re: Signal Name - Global Rename in Capture Reply

Reformatting in IE... :-) 

1) Select design name in project manager window

2) From Menu select Edit -> Find,

3) From the Find dialog - Select only off-page connectors with the name you want to rename

4) Select all on the spreadsheet that appears with offpage names 5) Select Menu Edit ->Properties - you should see another spreadsheet

6) Rename one value on spreadsheet

7) Click Copy for the modified value

8) Select entire column

9) Click on button "paste" If you want Advanced processing and not just a simple name replacement -

You could try the following options (Please note : All these solutions will work require latest 16.3ISR installation.)-

a) Export to text format like EDIF or XML - make the changes and re-import it (For xml the tcl export and import commands are - XMATIC_XML2DSN and XMATIC_DSN2XML )

b) You can directly work on Orcad Database. Cadence provides a sample TCL on search and replace text. The TCL can be modified to work on Offpage objects. If you decide to use this - you need to execute the following TCL commands after your program has changed the signals on objects. package require capDesignUtil; ::capDesignUtil::reevaluateAllPagesOfOpenDesigns

You can execute this in batch or through TCL shell provided in Capture. TCL Commands and usage are documented in \tools\capture\tclscripts\OrCAD_Capture_TclTk_Extensions.pdf

If you need R&D help on TCL - you can contact at orcad_scripting@cadence.com

c) If your design only has a few pages - You can write a script to execute through User Interface. You can turn on the Journaling in Capture and see the TCL commands being executed through UI interface. You can write a simple script to work on small script to filter selected objects to offpages and execute the renaming command that was recorded in journaling. This will work for a page at a time unless you code TCL to go through all pages.

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Feb 9 2011 8:44 PM

• redwire
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Allen, TX
    • Posts 876
    • Points 13,500

You can do a similar edit using Excel if you have it.  As above, Edit->Find, choose either all or Data* as off page connectors.

When they show up in the find box, select all, then ctrl-e (Edit).  This will pop up an edit box.  Select the column.  Ctrl-Ins (copies entire column).  Paste in Excel.  Edit in Excel with Ctrl-H (replace).  Copy that back to Excel, select column, shift-ins will paste back.

Don't close the edit box in OrCAD while editing in Excel.  Just a hint.

• Thu, Feb 10 2011 9:04 AM

• Liana
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 20 2009
    • Posts 7
    • Points 110

Thank you paragc and redwire!  I opted for the second method as I have access to Excel.  It worked like a charm and saved me many many hours.  Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly.

Liana

• Mon, Sep 12 2011 7:40 AM

• AceUM21
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 12 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 55

What about replacing text in a text box?  I used a bunch of text boxes to label something in my design and I'd like to do a global replace to change them.  It would seem that the global replace command under the edit menu would provide this capability, however, it apparently doesn't work for text boxes because it never finds the string.  It's rather strange also because if you use the find command in the edit menu then it finds them all no problem.  Any ideas?  It seems like this would be a common need and something that should be easy.

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Sep 13 2011 7:06 AM

• hmkr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 4 2011
    • Posts 14
    • Points 220

You can find and replace text using the "Find And Replace Text" application in the TCL Dashboard. You can launch the TCL application dashboard by going to the menu "Accessories -> Cadence TCL/Tk Utiltities -> Utilities"

"Find And Replace Text" application supports finding and replacing text using regular expressions also, so you can do complex replacements. The "Help" button on this application gives you a couple of examples. The output is displayed in the session log.

Find And Replace Text

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Sep 13 2011 8:00 AM

• AceUM21
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 12 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 55

I'm running Orcad capture 16.0.0.s002 and I don't see that item listed in the Accessories menu.

The most items I see in that dropdown occurs when the focus is on the project window and it shows:

aliasrot

Hierarchy Report

LibCorrectionUtil

mentor

Transfer Occ.Prop. to Instance

When the focus is on a schematic page, I just see the Aliasrot menu.  Maybe I'm just using an older version.

• Tue, Sep 13 2011 8:06 AM

• hmkr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 4 2011
    • Posts 14
    • Points 220

Yes, this option is available in 16.3 onwards.

• Tue, Sep 13 2011 8:07 AM

• paragc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 4 2009
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 23
    • Points 295

Yep - you need to pick 16.3 or 16.5 with latest ISRs

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Liana at 09 Feb 2011 04:32 PM. Topic has 8 replies.