Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Best practices for library structures?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Best practices for library structures? 

Last post Thu, Jan 6 2011 9:43 AM by eephillip. 2 replies.
Started by Soundman99 04 Jan 2011 06:47 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 1682 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Jan 4 2011 6:47 AM

• Soundman99
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 22 2008
    • Posts 3
    • Points 110
    Best practices for library structures? Reply

I am working with our libraries right now and have an oppertunity to change them drastically if I need to.  Currently, our libraries contain aproximatly 20,000 different physical parts (lines of .ptf files), about 1,000 different pad stacks, 6,500 symbols.  We are creating databases for our sourcing and quality groups to have vision to what parts we use, where we use them and how often.  We would also like to pull from those databases to make design decisons based off part cost and quality when placing parts in Design Entry HDL.  Does anybody have any "best practices" for how to structure the library, key things to include, key things to exclude, etc?

Also, are there any suggestions on how to integrate the different databases and libraries?  We use Windchill on the mechanical side of things, would it be beneficial to change our license from SPB to ADW so that we can use the integration between Windchill and ADW, or are there other systems that can do the same thing without changing our platform?

• Post Points: 35
  • Tue, Jan 4 2011 7:20 AM

• Jerry GenPart
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 17 2008
    • Lake In The Hills, IL
    • Posts 128
    • Points 9,285
    RE: Best practices for library structures? Reply

Good to see that you’re bringing valuable part data early into the design decision phase!

The short answer is that ADW will indeed provide you the best option to elegantly populate your library parts with the needed properties so that the designers can make intelligent design decisions. Where parts are used (in which designs), sourcing/cost/part lifecycle management/etc. are just some of the features that ADW will provide.

You can add properties to PTF files and designers will see those properties  when doing a search through the Component Browser, but this will be a much more manual approach for the librarians. Also, you’d need to write programs to determine the where-used data.

Jerry

Regards,

Jerry
    • Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Jan 6 2011 9:43 AM

• eephillip
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 14 2009
    • San Antonio, TX
    • Posts 53
    • Points 715
    Re: Best practices for library structures? Reply
    I'm also interested in learning about scalable part library management. I use Design Entry CIS with CIP-E integration from EMA. I would be very interested in learning more about how these systems are used at a larger scale or even if  it does the same thing as the library management system in Allegro Design Workbench.
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Soundman99 at 04 Jan 2011 06:47 AM. Topic has 2 replies.