Home > Community > Forums > Functional Verification > event on combination of VHDL and verilog RTL path

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

event on combination of VHDL and verilog RTL path 

Last post Thu, Dec 2 2010 1:07 AM by Ravisinha. 2 replies.
Started by Ravisinha 01 Dec 2010 11:14 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 2343 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Dec 1 2010 11:14 PM

• Ravisinha
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 23 2009
    • Posts 21
    • Points 315
    event on combination of VHDL and verilog RTL path Reply
    Hi All, I am making one event like : event collect_cover_done_e is rise('~/ve_top_tb_sn.DUT.ve_core_inst.pss_top_inst.pss_ring_inst.pss_core_inst.pss_arcss_core_inst.ipss_dma.done_w')@sim; Here the issue i am getting is : *** Error: From NCVHDL adapter: Missing access rights. No read/write access rights were specified for the VHDL signal ':DUT:ve_core_inst:pss_top_inst:pss_ring_inst:pss_core_inst:pss_arcss_core_inst:ipss_dma:done_w' accessible from Specman. This is because i hope my testbench is in VHDL and the path which i am accessing at the last is verilog.. Basically our RTL is combination of VHDL and verilog. Please let me know what is the issue over here. Thanks
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 12:45 AM

• StephenH
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 2 2008
    • Bristol, Avon
    • Posts 278
    • Points 4,450
    Re: event on combination of VHDL and verilog RTL path Reply

Hi.

Firstly you should not be using tick accesses these days. You should be using simple ports instead, as they have better performance and give less flow problems such as the VHDL/Verilog binding that you're seeing.

dma_done_w : in simple_port of bit is instance;
    keep dma_done_w.hdl_path() == "~/ve_top_tb_sn.DUT.ve_core_inst.pss_top_inst.pss_ring_inst.pss_core_inst.pss_arcss_core_inst.ipss_dma.done_w";
    keep dma_done_w.agent() == "Verilog";
    event collect_cover_done_e is rise(dma_done_w$)@sim;

This gives you other benefits because each port in a unit can have a different language agent set, which avoids the limitation of tick accesses where the entire unit has only one language agent.

Now, the other common mistake people make is thinking that they don't need to load their e code when generating the stubs file.
    You MUST load your e code before generating a stubs file, otherwise the simulator doesn't know which RTL signals you wish to connect to. This is important because the simulator tends to optimise away some signals (e.g. feed-throughs) to improve performance. It must know during elaboration that you want access to the signal, and the stubs file tells it that information.

After generating a stubs file, you only need to regenerate it if the signal connections change, i.e. adding ports or changing hdl_paths.

Steve Hobbs / Applications Engineer / Cadence Functional Verification
    Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Dec 2 2010 1:07 AM

• Ravisinha
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 23 2009
    • Posts 21
    • Points 315
    Re: event on combination of VHDL and verilog RTL path Reply
    Hi, It worked fine. Thanks Alot...
    • Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Ravisinha at 01 Dec 2010 11:14 PM. Topic has 2 replies.