Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > Encounter 8.1 vs 9.1 sdf generation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Encounter 8.1 vs 9.1 sdf generation 

Last post Fri, Oct 29 2010 12:38 PM by MzQuarter. 8 replies.
Started by MzQuarter 18 Oct 2010 08:56 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 4484 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:56 AM

• MzQuarter
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 22 2009
    • Posts 11
    • Points 245
    Encounter 8.1 vs 9.1 sdf generation Reply

Hi,

I've used Encounter 8.1 for past projects to generate sdf back-annotation for simulation and it worked great. Now we've moved to Encounter 9.1, but the exact same 8.1 encounter project reloaded in 9.1 gives different results. First of all, the middle field ("typical", my guess) is no longer present, and when I load the sdf in a simulator the delays are all taken as 0 (no delays).  Second, the delays for interconnect are different, and quite often 0. Another difference I noticed is that in 8.1 the value triplets were always the same (which I thought odd), but not in encounter 9.1.

What am I missing? I'm almost sure it's just a setting, but I can't see where or how.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Encounter 8.1:

(INTERCONNECT I_NCS U134/A (0.0037:0.0037:0.0037) (0.0037:0.0037:0.0037))
    (INTERCONNECT I_SCLK Q_TRANSACTIONCOMPLETE_REG/CKN (0.0045:0.0045:0.0045) (0.0045:0.0045:0.0045))

Encounter 9.1:

(INTERCONNECT I_NCS U134/A  (0.003::0.004) (0.003::0.004))
    (INTERCONNECT I_SCLK Q_TRANSACTIONCOMPLETE_REG/CKN  (0.000::0.000) (0.000::0.000))

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Oct 18 2010 11:33 AM

• diablo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 14 2008
    • fargo, ND
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,255
    Re: Encounter 8.1 vs 9.1 sdf generation Reply

If you could share what switches you are using for write_sdf, it would be helpful in pinpointing the problem.

Are you defining what views to use while writing sdf like -max_view, -typ_view, -min_view?

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 12:20 PM

• MzQuarter
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 245

Hi diablo,

Here is what I do through the GUI, with a little more detail, (same for both versions).

1- Start encounter
    2- Restore design from an encounter format
    3- Do RC extract (simplest kind, not sign-off)
    4- Calculate timing

It translates to the following commands in the log file, after loading the project:

Encounter 8.1: 
    <CMD_INTERNAL> isExtractRCModeSignoff
    <CMD> extractRC
    <CMD> delayCal -sdf SPI_Demo_8.1.sdf -idealclock

Encounter 9.1:
    <CMD> extractRC
    Extraction called for design 'SPI_Demo' of instances=169 and nets=130 using extraction engine 'preRoute' .
    <CMD> write_sdf -ideal_clock_network SPI_Demo_9.1.sdf

So no, it doesn't specify the views :(.  I looked in the command documentation and found the info on -max/min/typ_view and the -view switches. It looks like what I'm looking for, because the -view switch mentions it doesn't populate the typ slot. This is great news, but I have 3 other questions:

1- The commands require a "viewName" argument. What's this and how do I know what to give as argument? The documentation is not very detailed on this point.
    2- The switches are said to be used in Multi Mode Multi Corner analysis, but I haven't done this yet (unless the Extract RC does this without telling me). I'm pretty sure it should be standard verification for sign-off, but for now I just want a quick'n dirty annotation file. Do I really have to do corner analysis at this point?
    3- Can you set this option in the GUI? Everything will end up in a script, but it's always nice to have GUI handy.

Thanks

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 12:45 PM

• diablo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • fargo, ND
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,255

The first thing i noticed in sdf values between your 8.1 and 9.1 run is that their precision is different. 

You can use write_sdf -prec to determine how much precision you want. If you want to compare 9.1 with 8.1, use write_sdf -prec 4 while writing sdf. 

Secondly, it didn't look like you were getting corners interconnect delay in your 8.1 run. Something is not right, if you were expecting corner delays there. In your 9.1, you are getting corner delays, and the one with 0's might be just becuase of precision.  

You have to create analysis view for MMMC analysis. But looks like your intent is to do just bcwc analysis.

You said you wanted sdf for back annotated simulation. While doing back annotated simulation, do you run in all three corners?

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 1:41 PM

• MzQuarter
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 245

Hi diablo,

Thanks for the info.

Let me clear up my intent, it might help. Before starting on the real design layout, I'm doing a first run around the whole back-end process using a very small project to iron out any problems I might run into. It real project is mixed signal, with many small analog instances at the bottom of the hierarchy and the digital parts wrapping the top. I've worked through a basic assembly flow, and I am currently working on simulation with layout parasitics. I was hoping to look into MMMC and thermal/power analysis at a later time, because my test circuit seems a little too simple to have much self-training value for these features. Also, I don't think I can do full parasitics extraction directly in Encounter because of the custom analog blocs. However, I can produce DSPF or SPEF files for the digital portion of the mixed-signal design outside encounter, and import the result to calculate the delays.

When simulating, I don't remember giving a particular corner (or three. I use AMS for mixed signal), but I am currently aiming for a simple bcwc to start with. But if I can, I'd rather do it right on the first go so I won't have to come back and rework the procedure. From what I understand, you can only run one corner at a time, and let the hold/setup checks do the work of flagging errors for each corner setting. But then, for a simulation aiming to verify the mixed-signal circuit in typical conditions,  I'd need the typical values, so I would need to run MMMC right away?

Another question, to make sure : Should I expect problems when running MMMC with imported parasitics? I won't need to generate a SPEF file for each corner, right? The software will pick the right model when calculating the delays?

Am I thinking in the right direction?

Thanks

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 2:08 PM

• diablo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • fargo, ND
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,255

If i understood correctly, you want to do mixed signal timing simulation with parasitic delay included. When you do extraction of your top level to generate SPEF, you could generate spef_typical, spef_best, spef_wst for different corners. Then before writing out sdf, you could just use  "set_analysis_view -setup best -hold best","spefIn spef_best'(look in cmd ref for full syntax), and then write_sdf . This will give sdf with interconnect delay for you best corner. Do the same thing for all 3 corners with corresponding spef and view. Then finally you have to combine all the sdf using "sdfCombine" to generate single sdf file with all three corners delay values populated.

This may not be the most efficient way to do it. I will let other forum users to comment on the ways they are generating sdf.

• Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:24 AM

• MzQuarter
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 245

Thanks a lot for the info, it helps me take a new look on the issue.

Cheers.

• Tue, Oct 19 2010 6:00 PM

• Martinage
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 29 2008
    • San Jose, CA
    • Posts 6
    • Points 75

We made a switch in the Encounter platform from using SDF generated by the delayCal command
    and that produced by the write_sdf command.  All new development on SDF will be using write_sdf - this
    is different code that delayCal - and thus has some different - generally better behaviors.

In bcWc mode, the software is computing two corners worth of delays - best case and worst case. In OCV mode,
    we are also computing delays twice for early vs. late delays.  The resulting SDF is just this:

(bc::wc)  for bcWc mode  or (early::late) for OCV mode

A typ(ical) value is never computed, and so it is never written out.  Any value we would put there would strictly be
    placeholder and would have no real meaning.  Leaving the typ SDF slot empty makes it clear to anyone looking at the SDF
    that no real Typ corner delay calculation was done.

MMMC allows you to create more than a two corner delay environment - you can now really have bc, wc and typ
    (and others) computed.  In this case, write_sdf now gives the option to specify how to populate the min:typ:max
    SDF slots from the different views. 

- Ed

• Fri, Oct 29 2010 12:38 PM

• MzQuarter
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 245

Hi Diablo and Martinage,

I had some time to come back to this problem, and found what I was looking for thanks to your help and pointers. Here is what I did:

The project comes with wcbc already setup, so I added a typical view in MMMC by following the user guide chapter on MMMC (this thread: http://www.cadence.com/Community/forums/p/11116/13162.aspx).

In the following lines, "default_mode_setup" and "default_mode_hold" already existed in  my project (bcwc), and point to the same .sdc file. "default_view_setup" and "default_view_hold" were also already defined.

create_library_set -name typical_libraries -timing {tt_1p5v_25c.lib} -si {tt_1v50_c25.cdB}
    create_rc_corner -name typical_rc_corner -cap_table "typ.capTbl" -T -25 -qx_tech_file "typ.tch"                                                 
    create_delay_corner -name typical_delay_corner -library_set typical_libraries -rc_corner typical_rc_corner
    create_analysis_view -name typical_analysis_view -delay_corner typical_delay_corner -constraint_mode default_mode_setup

then:
    set_analysis_view -setup {default_view_setup typical_analysis_view} -hold {default_view_hold typical_analysis_view}

and lastly
    write_sdf -version 2.1 -typ_view typical_analysis_view -min_view default_view_hold -max_view default_view_setup test.sdf

I quickly checked an entry in the sdf file before and after these, and the early/late entries are unchanged, with new entries in the center field that make sense to me, so I think at worst I didn't break anything.

Again, thanks to both of you for your help.

Mz

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by MzQuarter at 18 Oct 2010 08:56 AM. Topic has 8 replies.