Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > lef unit confusion

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

lef unit confusion 

Last post Wed, Oct 20 2010 1:01 PM by mdconcepts. 4 replies.
Started by Holdsworth 13 Sep 2010 01:55 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 2814 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Sep 13 2010 1:55 PM

• Holdsworth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 25 2008
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80
    lef unit confusion Reply
    Hello there, I'm a bit confused with LEF unit: I've a LEF file with DATABASE MICRONS 2000 ; However, the LEF/DEF language reference interprets one LEF distance unit as multiplied when converted into database units. In other words, if for a LAYER M1 WIDTH 0.10 ; , does this mean that the actual width of M1 is (0.1*2000)um ?
    Filed under:
    • Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Sep 13 2010 2:09 PM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 693
    • Points 14,295
    Re: lef unit confusion Reply

No, the M1 width is 0.10 microns. The numbers in the LEF are always in microns, but the tech LEF also happens to be where you specify what the DB Units are for the design. The numbers in the DEF file are in DB Units. The statement DATABASE MICRONS 2000 means that for any numbers in the DEF file, to convert to microns, you divide by 2000. (A long time ago, the tool GUIs would display things in DB Units also, but I believe everything is displayed in microns now.)

Sometimes the LEF will have DATABASE MICRONS 1000, or some other number. It depends on the technology and what the manufacturing grid is.

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 11:48 AM

• mdconcepts
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 20 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25

Do you know how to set the LEF UNITS DATABASE MICRONS?  The digital vendor is asking for 2000, but the default in the technology file is creating MICRON UNITS as 100.  I am exporting a flat abstract viewcell with only ports and metal blocking layers using the File, Export, LEF.

Thanks,

MD

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 12:24 PM

• Kari
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Cary, NC
    • Posts 693
    • Points 14,295

You can just edit the LEF manually to change the DATABASE MICRONS line to whatever you want. 

If you want this to happen automatically when you export LEF, then I *think* it's a setting in the DFII tech file, but it's been a long time since I played in that arena. ;-)

- Kari

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 1:01 PM

• mdconcepts
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 20 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25

Thanks for the reply.  I was guessing as much as I noticed that the coordinates seem to be correct and since you will be importing in, the units will adjust accordingly to whatever is in the LEF file.  I searched around in the techfile, but didn't see the specific unit under the CONTROLS portion or the P&R portion.

Thanks,

MD

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Holdsworth at 13 Sep 2010 01:55 PM. Topic has 4 replies.