Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Questions about OCEAN XL

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Questions about OCEAN XL 

Last post Mon, Apr 30 2012 11:01 AM by stsui. 5 replies.
Started by jorankin 03 Aug 2010 07:37 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 3081 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Aug 3 2010 7:37 AM

• jorankin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 3 2010
    • Mendota Heights, MN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 265
    Questions about OCEAN XL Reply

Stacy,

Hello. I am writing with regards to OceanXL. I, too, am having trouble using OceanXL to do what I have been able to do previously with Ocean. My two issues are below:

1. I would like to have OceanXL output only certain outputs (such as those I have specified in ADE or ADEXL, like gain, bandwidth, etc) in tabular format using something like fprintf or the like. It doesn't seem to work the same way I have tried in the regular OCEAN since I am running distributed sims.

2. I would also like to run OCEANXL in distributed mode AND run it in the background without it holding down my cadence session. In the past, I have run OCEAN using the icsub command, but this precludes me running distributed sims. I would like to run OCEANXL using the icsub command AND have it use my distributed simulation settings specified in my OCEANXL script.

Of course, I can run distributed sims in ADEXL which works. But when I run enough sims in parallel, my cadence session gets tied down and I can't do anything else. This is undesirable. My productivity goes down 10x!

The above issues are not spelled out at all in the OCEANXL reference provided to designers. Do you have suggestions for a better reference and/or how to fix the problems?

Thanks,

John

• Post Points: 35
  • Tue, Aug 3 2010 1:08 PM

Re: Questions about OCEAN XL Reply

John,

I split this post into a new topic, because it's bad practice to tack onto an existing thread (which is really rather different). I am hoping to get some forum guidelines up at some point to make it clear what the "rules" are for the forum. Anyway, never mind - it's split off now.

OCEAN XL can quite happily output only certain outputs - you control that via the ocnxlOutputExpr function. If however you want to have something where you post-process all the results afterwards and format the data in the specific way you want, there are a couple of possible approaches:

1. Use the axlWriteDatasheet function - see solution http://support.cadence.com/wps/mypoc/cos?uri=deeplinkmin:ViewSolution;solutionNumber=11609060 . This outputs XML for all the scalar data you've captured, and then you could use a program to pull out whatever info you want from the XML. 
    2. Wait for IC615 where there will be a new public function to access the "RDB" (the Results Database) which is where all the scalar results get stored. Right now there's only a private interface to this (and it's not very easy to use because it wasn't designed with external users in mind).

For point 2, "icsub" is not a Cadence command - it's presumably something in your environment to submit to a queuing system. I'm not sure why you can't distribute from there. For example, in my office I have LSF set up, and I can use "bsub" to submit my virtuoso or ocean session, and then run an OCEAN or OCEAN XL script which further distributes the jobs. So icsub won't be in the documentation because it is nothing to do with Cadence. From a quick search, it seems to be a command used at one particular company (headquartered in Milpitas?) - if so, I used to work for them (albeit nearly 20 years ago now) ;-)

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:35 AM

• jorankin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 3 2010
    • Mendota Heights, MN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 265

Andrew,

I appreciate your response on this. I should have made a new post in the first place, but I'm a newbie to this forum and pretty much forums in general.

It looks like I've figured out how to run an OCEAN that includes OCEANXL distributed processing settings. To get this to work, I simply have to submit the job to the same queue that the distributed processing commands within the OCEAN (XL) script specify. For example, if, in my script, I specify:

ocnxlJobSetup( '(
            "blockemail" "1"
            "configuretimeout" "300"
            "distributionmethod" "LBS"
            "jobqueue" "medium"

Then I should submit the command as follows:

bsub -q medium "ocean <ocean script.ocn> outputlog.log"

This seems to work well for me.

I have also found that if I run these simulations in OCEAN (XL) and close the corresponding ADEXL session, importing the data into ADEXL doens't take nearly as much time to process the data as it did before when I ran the simulation interactively in ADEXL. So, I could postprocess using the axlWriteDatasheet function, but ADEXL will work too. I will still look into this datasheet function.

I have another question that I will post in another thread.

You are right about the company I work for. I am new as of April and that's why I didn't know much about bsub or icsub...

Thanks,

John

• Post Points: 5
  • Sun, Apr 29 2012 10:28 PM

• stsui
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 30 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25

Hi Andrew,

I have a question on running parallel jobs through ocean script.In my script I have

hostMode( 'distributed )
    simList = append1( simList run( ?jobName RunName ?queue "normal" ?lsfResourceStr "rusage[mem=1000]" ?mail nil) )

However some waiting jobs are alwasy submitted to queue 'desktop' instead of 'normal'. 

JOBID   USER    STAT  QUEUE      FROM_HOST   EXEC_HOST   JOB_NAME   SUBMIT_TIME
    781242  stsui   RUN   normal     lx-deskh333 sc2b0671    *1_0.85005 Apr 29 21:52
    781245  stsui   RUN   normal     lx-deskh333 sc2b0671    *1_0.85005 Apr 29 21:52
    781241  stsui   RUN   normal     lx-deskh333 cabr0188    *1_0.95005 Apr 29 21:52
    513604  stsui   PEND  desktop    lx-deskh333             wait004    Apr 27 17:35
    781246  stsui   PEND  desktop    lx-deskh333             wait005    Apr 29 21:52

Do you know which ocean command to correct the queue name problem?

Thanks.

San

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Apr 30 2012 12:59 AM

San,

I'm not aware of such an issue, but I didn't do any searching on this. I would suggest that you contact Cadence Customer Support (support.cadence.com) including the version of virtuoso and LSF that you're using (you didn't say)

Andrew
  • Mon, Apr 30 2012 11:01 AM

• stsui
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 30 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25
    RE: Questions about OCEAN XL Reply
    Thanks Andrew.

San
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by jorankin at 03 Aug 2010 07:37 AM. Topic has 5 replies.