Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > ADE L 6.1.4 Parametric/MonteCarlo Sweep

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

ADE L 6.1.4 Parametric/MonteCarlo Sweep 

Last post Sun, Jun 27 2010 9:42 AM by MarkSummers. 2 replies.
Started by MarkSummers 27 Jun 2010 06:19 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 2753 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Jun 27 2010 6:19 AM

• MarkSummers
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 18 2009
    • Raleigh, NC
    • Posts 33
    • Points 525
    ADE L 6.1.4 Parametric/MonteCarlo Sweep Reply

I will soon help with evaluation of the 6.1 version of cadence.  To maximize the time I have for evaluation, I have some general questions.

In the new version, the model sections can be set with a design variable using VAR.  From reading the manuals, a few of things are not clear to me: 

1) Can this design variable be varied with the parametric analysis?  I assume an inclusion list ie tt ss ff  etc would work.  I also assume that this could point to model files which include other model files. That way ss would include slow devices and high res and high caps.

2) There is also a new way to specify parametric ranges.  paramset.  Can the model section variations be used in this mode.  Spectre seems to indicate that paramset variables have to be numbers.

3) Is there a way to load in a file for the paramset.  This would allow a perl program for example to set up a complicated set of sweeps.

Finally what is the procedure for Monte Carlo in ADE L.  Does this require a different license, and a different interface, or does it work similar to 5.1 where statistics is a seperate tool?

Any help is appreciated.

• Post Points: 20
  • Sun, Jun 27 2010 6:32 AM

Re: ADE L 6.1.4 Parametric/MonteCarlo Sweep Reply

Mark,

The answers to your questions:

1. No
    2. No. BTW, paramset is not new - it's in IC5141 too.
    3. Yes, you can do File->Save and File->Load. The format is quite simple.

Monte Carlo is in ADE XL. Actually Monte Carlo was never part of the ADE product before - it was an add-on called "Electronic Design for Manufacturing" which handled monte carlo and corners. You can do parametric sweeps, corners and monte carlo in ADE XL, so that's the right solution for what you're trying to do. ADE XL is built on top of ADE L, and it allows a lot more than just these things (like being able to add multiple tests, specifications, and also parameterisation of the design without having to edit the schematic, to name a few).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 20
  • Sun, Jun 27 2010 9:42 AM

• MarkSummers
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 18 2009
    • Raleigh, NC
    • Posts 33
    • Points 525
    Re: ADE L 6.1.4 Parametric/MonteCarlo Sweep Reply

Thanks for the reply,

When reading the ADE L 6.1.4 Manual seems to indicate the switch view list could be changed through parametric simulation in chapter 6 at end.  I figured if this string could be swept in a parametric sim any string could be.  I could just be reading that wrong in the manual.

In general the reason I asked the question was that I was trying to see what options for corners are available.  I would prefer using XL as I think it has many nice features.  However I was looking for a way in the L version to run corners but keep the results grouped so that they can be treated as family of curves(this retains many powerful capabilities).  My thinking was that a parametric sweep on model section would do this.

Again thanks for the quick reply.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by MarkSummers at 27 Jun 2010 06:19 AM. Topic has 2 replies.