Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > Noise separation in phase noise simulation

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Noise separation in phase noise simulation 

Last post Thu, Jun 3 2010 2:56 AM by Andrew Beckett. 1 replies.
Started by deepb 24 May 2010 01:25 PM. Topic has 1 replies and 2392 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, May 24 2010 1:25 PM

• deepb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 24 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 20
    Noise separation in phase noise simulation Reply

Hello,

I'm doing a phase noise simulation in cadence (using MMSIM70) and I'm using the option "noise separation" to determine the amount of noise introduced by each instance in my circuit. However, when i compare the total output noise (in the band of interest) with the sum of the individual contribution of each instance (in the band of interest) the curves differs. 
    Why? it is a correlation factor involved in the calculation of the total output noise?

Any insight to this doubt is wellcome!!

thx!

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Jun 3 2010 2:56 AM

Re: Noise separation in phase noise simulation Reply

You didn't say how it differs, or how you were adding it up, or what precisely you were looking at, so I'll have to answer in general terms.

There are certainly correlations. Some noise will correlate in frequency - it will end up translated into different sidebands by the cyclostationary nature of the circuit, and then translated into the output band - the root cause of two different noise contributors could be related though.

Similarly some noise sources are bias dependent (e.g. shot noise) and so there will be some correlation between the noise from different sources for that reason.

Noise separations is generally to tell you information about where the noise is coming from - but you wouldn't use it to compute the total noise yourself (the simulator will do that for you, as it's in possession of the full information).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by deepb at 24 May 2010 01:25 PM. Topic has 1 replies.