Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > FinFET model parameter

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

FinFET model parameter 

Last post Sun, Mar 2 2014 3:04 AM by DaggerTruth. 27 replies.
Started by Saeed Gharagoz 11 Apr 2010 09:15 AM. Topic has 27 replies and 10553 views
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:15 AM

FinFET model parameter Reply
    I have a FinFET model parameter and I need to use to simulate a circuit. How can I do it? Should I only change the file extension from .pm to .scs and copy it where everything else is? Or should modify the existing file? And any idea where can I get 22nm MIGFET model? Thanks
    Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 50
  • Sun, Apr 11 2010 2:05 PM

Re: FinFET model parameter Reply

What's a ".pm" file? I don't recognize that suffix. Without knowing the contents of the file (don't post it here, because that would probably break a license agreement from whoever provided you with the model) - comments in the file might give some clue as to what simulator it was intended for - it's very hard to tell you what to do.

Wouldn't the best place to get the 22nm MIGFET model be from whatever  foundry is providing the 22nm process?

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 20
  • Sun, Apr 11 2010 4:29 PM

I think its a Hspice parameter file. Fortunately I have managed to do something, but i get error. It complains that It doesn't have BSIMSOI3.2 . Thanks,
    • Post Points: 35
  • Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:34 PM

My guess in that case is that you're using too old a version of spectre.

If I do "spectre -h bsimsoi" with spectre from IC5141, it says (at the top):

B3SOI is an SOI model developed by U.C. Berkeley based on bsim3v3. B3SOI devices require that you use a model
    statement. This is the B3SOI version-3.0/3.11 model.

In MMSIM71 version of spectre it says:

B3SOI is an SOI model developed by U.C. Berkeley based on bsim3v3. B3SOI devices require that you use a model
    statement. This is the B3SOI version-2.23/3.0/3.11/3.2/4.0/4.1 model.

In MMSIM72 version of spectre it says:

statement. This is the B3SOI version-2.23/3.0/3.11/3.2/4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3 model.

So you need something more recent than spectre from IC5141 if you want version 3.2 of bsimsoi. (see many posts on this forum, or solutions on http://support.cadence.com ) which talk about using spectre from MMSIM streams.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
  • Sun, Nov 6 2011 8:06 PM

Hello Saeed,   How did you work with .pm file of finfet in spectre??

I got 32nm model of finfet from website http://ptm.asu.edu/. I don't know how to use this model in spectre for circuit simulations.

Can you tell me about this.

Thanks,

Vandana

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 1:49 AM

Vandana,

After making a small correction to the soi*.pm files :

.model  nmos1 nmos1  level = 57

should be:

.model  nmos1 nmos  level = 57

and similarly for all of them (the third word should be nmos or pmos, not a repetition of the second word), I then just used it directly in a spectre netlist (this is testfin.scs)

// testfin.scs

include "32nm_finfet.pm"

M1 (D G 0 0) DGNMOS w=1u l=32n
    VDS (D 0) vsource dc=1
    VGS (G 0) vsource dc=0.5

dc dc

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:14 AM

Hello Andrew,

Thanks.

But before doing simulations, I need to integrate a particular  model of a new device like finfet into spectre.

I found following line in one of the doc about spectre.

'The Spectre Compiled Model Interface (CMI) option lets you integrate new devices into the Spectre simulator using a very powerful, efficient, and flexible C language interface. This CMI option, the same one used by Spectre developers, lets you install proprietary models.'

Do you have any idea about this??

Using Compiled-Model Interface

The ® Spectre® circuit simulator supports dynamic loading of device models. This feature allows you to dynamically load device primitives (stored in shared objects) at run time. This is useful for developing and distributing models.

Installing Compiled-Model Interface (CMI)

CMI is now shipped with Spectre. The installation is done as a manual step after the Spectre product installation.

To install CMI, run the cmiExtract script located in the following directory:
    your_install_dir/tools/spectre/bin

You must have a valid Spectre CMI license to run this script. You are prompted to specify a directory in which the CMI hierarchy is to be installed, with the default being your_install_dir/tools/.

Once the extraction script is complete, the CMI hierarchy can be found in the directory spectrecmi in the specified location. The README files are in the spectrecmi directory and the CMI manual, cmiprint.pdf, is in spectrecmi/doc/. See the CMI manual, Compiled-Model Interface Reference for information on how to proceed.

Thanks & Regards:
    Vandana

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:35 AM

• 3gh2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 10 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 125
    Hello Vandana, I don't have 32nm model card compatible for spectre but I can send you 45nm model card that I have modified so you can change it yourself. please leave your email address so I can forward the files. Cheers. Saeed
    • Post Points: 50
  • Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:36 AM

• 3gh2
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 125
    By the way I am the same person but I had to create a new account so I can reply to your post!
  • Thu, Nov 10 2011 2:55 AM

Vandana,

Using CMI is only necessary if you are going to integrate a model (written in C/C++) into the simulator which doesn't exist already. That would typically only be done by somebody who has detailed modelling and software experience, and only if a standard model doesn't exist.

You're talking more about using an existing model card, i.e. a file containing model parameters. Are you trying to use this from the Analog Design Environment or by using spectre from the command line? Normally if using ADE you'd have a design kit which would take care of tying up the device symbols and the corresponding models. Knowing more about your use model and what you're actually trying to do will help me (or someone else) give you a sensible answer.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 7:54 PM

Thanks Andrew and Saeed.

Let me try to explain my problem once again.

I want to do some circuit simulations using finfet as a device. I do not want to build device model, but I want to use the existing models of finfet in my circuit simulations.

I found 32nm and 45nm finfet models on http://ptm.asu.edu/ 

Toolset I have in my university is Cadence ADE , where I can use spectre to do circuit simulations.

Now the point is how I can integrate the model of finfet in spectre?? Suppose I want to build any combinational /sequential circuit using finfet as device and do its power analysis, I need to pick finfet symbol from a library, and while simulating, spectre should pick finfet's corresponding model.

So now, if could help me regarding this. please let me know how should I proceed with this?

Thanks in advance,

Regards:

Vandana

email id:  vandanakhanna2001@gmail.com

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 8:46 PM

• 3gh2
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 125
    Vandana, That model that you have obtained from ASU is for HSPICE and as far as I know you cannot use it in spectre! It is similar to a C and C++! You have to modify it so spectre understands the model! If you want do it yourself you need to read the HSPICE manaul and understand the code( specially the linking file) Once you are on top of it you need got through the cadence manual and modify the code so spectre understands it! Let me know how can i help you! Cheers
  • Thu, Nov 10 2011 9:14 PM

Thanks.

So do you have any idea where from I can get the model for finfet that works with spectre directly. I'm fine with working in 45nm even.
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 1:36 AM

• Farshad78
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 28 2011
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70
    Hi Saeed, Could you please let me know how do you simulate a circuit using the finfet models you have? Thanks
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 1:39 AM

• Farshad78
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 28 2011
    • Posts 5
    • Points 70
    Hi Saeed, Actually, I have done a lot of simulations using device using TCAD tools (Taurus). But now I am going to use FinFET to do some circuit simulations. Could you please let me know how do you do that? May I have the models you have? Thanks
    • Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
Started by Saeed Gharagoz at 11 Apr 2010 09:15 AM. Topic has 27 replies.