Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > OrCAD PCB Editor 16.2, Auto Routing Blind/Buried Vias and maximum layers limitations?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

OrCAD PCB Editor 16.2, Auto Routing Blind/Buried Vias and maximum layers limitations? 

Last post Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:10 PM by mcatramb91. 3 replies.
Started by John0826 31 Mar 2010 12:58 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 3361 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Mar 31 2010 12:58 AM

• John0826
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 31 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40
    OrCAD PCB Editor 16.2, Auto Routing Blind/Buried Vias and maximum layers limitations? Reply
    Hello, any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

1.) I have come across this odd limitation of auto rout feature for OrCAD, or it could very well be some configuration that I am missing. The problem happens when I'm auto routing the broad, the auto router will not use any buried or blind (B/B) vias. I have the B/B vias defined and selected for use in the Constraint Manger. The auto router would only use the through via, from top to bottom only, and ignore all other inter-layer via. I can use the inter"layer when I do manual routing. Either the smart router nor the specifying route passes would put the B/B vias in. Is there anything I over looking? Please advice. Thank you.

2.) The other constraint I'm stuck on is the maximum layers the auto router would route. I find the the auto router will only route when the number of conductor layers is six or below. If I declare seven conductor layers, the auto router will start after I press the "route button" but would exit immediately. I looked over the specctra.log and could not spot any error or warning.... Please advice, Thank you again.

This board I'm doing is a bit odd in that all components are through holes, and there are a lot of nets in a pretty tight space. I would manual route expect it would take me more time than I would like, so auto routing looks pretty attractive. This actually is the first time I've used the auto route feature, so if I forgot to mention any important info please let me know. Thank you.
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Mar 31 2010 2:04 AM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 101
    • Points 4,995
    Re: OrCAD PCB Editor 16.2, Auto Routing Blind/Buried Vias and maximum layers limitations? Reply

Hello,

This isn't a tool limitation but a license limitation. You will need to contact Cadence to verify this but the Auto Router which comes bundled with OrCAD PCB only supports 6 routing layers and does not support Blind and buried vias during auto routing, among other functionality.  I believe the performance options may give you more functionality but it depends on which licenses you have. Check out pages 6 thru 10 of the below PDF Document which describes the different tool suites/levels and what functionality you should expect.  Like I said it is probably best to contact Cadence directly to discuss your options.

http://www.cadence.com/rl/Resources/datasheets/7432_PCB_Designs_FINAL.pdf

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone

• Wed, Mar 31 2010 7:17 PM

• John0826
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 31 2010
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40
    Re: OrCAD PCB Editor 16.2, Auto Routing Blind/Buried Vias and maximum layers limitations? Reply
    Thank you Mike. Yea, the licensing issue was definitely it.  We have the OrCAD PCB version, 6 layer limitation and no B/B vias. It’s kind of embarrassing that I didn't realize this.  The only other place I've used OrCAD pcb was in school and they have all the features.  I shouldn't have assumed that it'll be the same everywhere else. 

Again, Thank You Mike for you time and help!

• Wed, Mar 31 2010 8:10 PM

• mcatramb91
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 3 2013
    • Chelmsford, MA
    • Posts 101
    • Points 4,995

No problem, anytime.  Please don't estimate to post questions to the forum. We have a lot of knowledgeable folks subscribed that are always willing to help out.

Regards,
    Mike Catrambone

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by John0826 at 31 Mar 2010 12:58 AM. Topic has 3 replies.