Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > How to suppress Spectre simulation for digital design?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to suppress Spectre simulation for digital design? 

Last post Sat, Feb 27 2010 4:56 AM by Quek. 3 replies.
Started by Shengkui Gao 25 Feb 2010 10:13 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 2507 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Feb 25 2010 10:13 PM

How to suppress Spectre simulation for digital design? Reply
    I am using Cadence 6.1.2 and NCSU_analog_parts library to do digital design. When I use spectre to simulate my circuit, it costs a long time (40 minutes at least) and a large file generated (more than 15MB). So I'd like to know how to suppress the simulation of Spectre´╝č Because I think it may do the full calculation for each part of my circuit. And do someone know how to set spectre to do the digital simulation directly? Now I have to generate the analog waveforms for each bits of my output and then use analog2digital function to transmit it to digital waveforms, then bus them... I am really a beginner in using Cadence 6 and Spectre, I used to use cadence 5 and generate to Hspice netlist, then go to use HPSICE or NANOSIM to do the simulation. Now the NCSU libraries does not support HSPICED models using in Cadence 6, I have to use spectre........
    Filed under: , , ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Fri, Feb 26 2010 12:17 PM

• Quek
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Singapore, 00-SG
    • Posts 1,084
    • Points 16,515
    Re: How to suppress Spectre simulation for digital design? Reply

Hi Shengkui

Do you mean that you would like to use spectre to simulate verilog/vhdl blocks? Actually spectre is unable to do this. It is only meant for analog/RF simulations. For mixed-signal simulations, please use our AMS Designer simulator. I am guessing that "suppress the simulation of Spectre" means to "reduce simulation time". In ADE-L form, please go to "Setup->High Performance Simulation". For "Simulation Performance Mode", you can choose either "Turbo" or "APS" to speed up your simulation. Please note that you will need the appropriate licenses in other to use these modes.

Please note that for AMS Designer, you will need to install INCISIV package.

Best regards
    Quek

• Fri, Feb 26 2010 10:52 PM

Hi Quek 1) I am using Spectre to simulate the schematic blocks which I built using NCSU_analog_parts. So is there anyway to simulate schematic views of digital circuits using Spectre? 2) I found the Turbo/Parasitic Reduction option under the setup tag, but it's gray and cannot be selected. Does this mean I don't have the licenses for this mode? 3) And can you tell me a little about INCISIV package? Or where I can find the instruction of it? I tried to search the Cadence help documents, no result.... Thank you! Shengkui
  • Sat, Feb 27 2010 4:56 AM

• Quek
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 14 2009
    • Singapore, 00-SG
    • Posts 1,084
    • Points 16,515

Hi Shengkui

a. Spectre can certainly simulate the schematic views of digital circuits that have actual transistors. It seems that you are building custom digital circuits. This means circuits that have actual transistors and not just a symbol encapsulating verilog/vhdl codes. You can simulate such circuits just as how you would simulate any analog/RF circuits.

b. It is most likely because your spectre is of the wrong version. You can check it as follows:
    - Open a terminal window
    - Enter the following cmd "spectre -W" :
    unix>spectre -W

You need a min spectre version of 7.0. If you need to upgrade your spectre, please install MMSIM package.

No, it does not mean that you do not have licenses for spectre turbo. To check for licenses, you can use:
    unix>env | grep LM_LICENSE_FILE
    ( If you above does not work, try "env | grep CDS_LIC_FILE" )
    unix>lmstat -a -c output_of_previous_cmd

c. This is the link to INCISIV92 package. Actually I think you only need the "IUS" part of the package but to avoid missing out any features when selecting them, I guess it would be easier to simply install everything. : )  It would take up quite a huge space though, about 14Gb. You can find out more about our AMS Designer simulator by clicking here.

Best regards
    Quek

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Shengkui Gao at 25 Feb 2010 10:13 PM. Topic has 3 replies.