Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > Help with Virtuoso XL Probe...

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Help with Virtuoso XL Probe... 

Last post Mon, Nov 26 2012 5:00 AM by Andrew Beckett. 7 replies.
Started by RoiZanoNew 24 Dec 2009 01:59 AM. Topic has 7 replies and 2122 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Dec 24 2009 1:59 AM

• RoiZanoNew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 23 2009
    • Nazareth illit, Israel
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125
    Help with Virtuoso XL Probe... Reply

Hi .

First i want to thank Quek about the great answer !!!

Second I'm having a problem that i want to discover.

I want to know how Probe option work and could i take information from the probe about a net .

I need the paths and vias(db) (and put inside a list) that being highlight doring the probe option.

Roi.

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Dec 24 2009 2:10 AM

Re: Help with Virtuoso XL Probe... Reply

Hi Roi,

This isn't (as far as I know) possible. You can find all the probes with geGetAllProbe(), and then for each probe you can look at probeId~>objectId which will return the net object (if it's a probed net).

You can then do probeId~>objectId~>figs to find all the figures on that net, but this will only be in the cellView containing the net object, so it won't traverse the hierarchy - assuming that's what you want. If you don't need it to traverse hierarchy, maybe this is sufficient for your needs.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Dec 24 2009 2:32 AM

• RoiZanoNew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 23 2009
    • Nazareth illit, Israel
    • Posts 7
    • Points 125

Hi Andrew ,

The main topic of my skill is to go down hierarchy like the probe doing during highlight.

So i need the Probe tool to help me find fast and based on the probe the items that he found during the probe options.

i tried all the Transform codes options and it will take alonge time to find pathes and vias downlevel .

do you have a idea how to find all paths and vias by net to find all the property?

Roi.

• Thu, Dec 24 2009 3:05 AM

Hi Roi,

It's not a trival amount of code to do this. So I don't have an example which illustrates this. If you have connectivity in the database though, you can find all the figures on the nets at the current level, and then look at the instTerms on that net, and follow through to the term attribute (which will give you the terminal within the cellView a level below), and from this you can get the net, and then all the figures. Do the same again recursively...

Something like:

procedure(MYprocessNet(net)
      foreach(fig net~>fig
        ; do whatever you need to do with the figures
      )
      foreach(instTerm net~>instTerms
        MYprocessNet(instTerm~>term~>net)
      )
    )

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
  • Mon, Nov 26 2012 4:19 AM

• jielson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 25 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hi Andrew,

I used this topic because I also have queries with regards to XL probing.

Can I use XL probing in gds data? What I mean is the layout is imported from gds. I tried this but it did not work.

• Mon, Nov 26 2012 4:27 AM

The forum guidelines specifically say not to do this... (append to an old thread, especially when your request is only very loosely related to the original).

The probing can only be done if you are using layout XL and have managed to extract it and bind the instances across to the source schematic (assuming you have one). This is better in IC61X than IC5141 (you didn't say which version you're using - also requested in the guidelines), but even so you probably would need to define the mapping of devices from your source PDK in Configure Physical Hierarchy.

There is further work we are doing right now to get layouts from stream files to become XL compliant, but that's planned for an upcoming release. 

You may be better off using Mark Net.

I'm having to guess a bit here because you didn't give much information... (particularly versions, whether you have a schematic, and so on).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Mon, Nov 26 2012 4:35 AM

• jielson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 25 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hi Andrew,

Sorry. I will keep that in mind.You have answered my question. Thanks.

Regards

Jielson

• Mon, Nov 26 2012 5:00 AM

Jielson,

Sorry to be a bit picky - it just helps anyone searching to have clear distinction in the threads - plus there's a mechanism to highlight unanswered threads, which won't work if you continue a very old thread. So you're more likely to get an answer (because your unanswered append to an old thread might get accidentally forgotten).

No problem though - I don't want to get too fussy about this!

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by RoiZanoNew at 24 Dec 2009 01:59 AM. Topic has 7 replies.