Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > Running VPCD from command line?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Running VPCD from command line? 

Last post Fri, Dec 18 2009 6:12 AM by tkhan. 7 replies.
Started by tkhan 15 Dec 2009 01:46 PM. Topic has 7 replies and 4381 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Dec 15 2009 1:46 PM

• tkhan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 16 2008
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,220
    Running VPCD from command line? Reply

Hi,

Since the menu option for VPCD has been removed in IC614, I want to use VPCD from command line but I can not generate a cell which I have synthesized. When running from the dropdown menu in IC, the Configuration option lets you choose which library the generated cell is created in (_psmsChooseLibForm->_psmsLibNameStrField->value = "lab2" is what shows up in virtuoso), how can I set this via the command line? vpcd -h does not give any clue, nor do the files in ~/.vpcm_datdir.

Thanks,

Tarek

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Dec 16 2009 4:03 AM

Re: Running VPCD from command line? Reply

Tarek,

Parts of the VPCD environment are in SKILL context files, so it's more than just being able to run from the command line.

In fact VPCD is also no longer in the MMSIM72 stream (VPCD was End-of-lifed in 2008).

So realistically you should use a version of both IC and MMSIM where it is available (i.e. IC613 and MMSIM71).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:15 AM

• tkhan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,220

Hi Andrew,

So if I use IC613 with setenv DD_USE_LIBDEFS NO, I shouldn't have any problems with the libraries being updated when I go back to using IC614? BTW has MMSIM72 been released?

Thanks,

Tarek

• Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:22 AM

Hi Tarek,

That's right. In fact you shouldn't have a problem anyway, because it always writes cds.lib - it was just a matter of whether lib.defs was being created by some other process or manually. But I'd probably go for DD_USE_LIBDEFS set to NO anyway.

MMSIM72 is released and is on downloads.cadence.com (it was released over the last weekend).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Dec 17 2009 8:03 PM

• tkhan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,220

For anyone who's interested, it looks like inductors generated by VPCD can't be used with MMSIM72 (pehaps with some environment tweaking it could).

\o VPCD ERROR: Failed to load context file for VPCDLikely Cause: The current version of MMSIM does not support VPCDWARNING: The VPCD-synthesized layout structures will not bedrawn correctly without this context file.Loading schematic.cxt 

Opening a PCD layout yields "pcellEvalFailed", I didn't try the layout_flat view though.

\e <<< Stack Trace >>>
    \e strcat(getShellEnvVar("CDS_VPCD_HOME") "/etc/context/VPCM.cxt")
    \e loadContext(strcat(getShellEnvVar("CDS_VPCD_HOME") "/etc/context/VPCM.cxt"))
    \e ...
    \e *Error* eval: undefined function - _pmms_loadModelFile
    \e <<< Stack Trace >>>
    \e _pmms_loadModelFile()
    \e loadi("/blah/blah/blah/libInit.il")
    \e ...
    \w *WARNING* (DB-270001): Pcell evaluation for vpcm/PCM_sym_oct/layout has the following error(s):
    \w *WARNING* (DB-270002): ("eval" 0 t nil ("*Error* eval: undefined function" _pmms_sym_Wrapper))
    \w *WARNING* (DB-270003): Error kept in "errorDesc" property of the label "pcellEvalFailed" on layer/purpose "marker/error" in the submaster.
    \w *WARNING* (DB-270001): Pcell evaluation for vpcm/PCM_shld_oct/layout has the following error(s):
    \w *WARNING* (DB-270002): ("eval" 0 t nil ("*Error* eval: undefined function" _pmms_shld_oct_Wrapper))
    \w *WARNING* (DB-270003): Error kept in "errorDesc" property of the label "pcellEvalFailed" on layer/purpose "marker/error" in the submaster.

I suppose I could set CDS_VPCD_HOME to <MMSIM71_HOME>/tools/vpcd, but mixing MMSIM71 and MMSIM72 doesn't seem like a good idea.

• Thu, Dec 17 2009 9:31 PM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 11 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 209
    • Points 5,535

Hi tkhan,

VPCD is not supported in MMSIM7.2 .  It was EoS (end of sale) a year ago.  MMSIM7.1 is the last version it's supported in. 

It is also not supported in IC6.1.4.

best regards,

Tawna Wilsey

Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
  • Thu, Dec 17 2009 11:38 PM

Hi Tarek,

My recommendation would be to flatten the layout produced by VPCD in IC613/MMSIM71 and then you'll no longer have a dependency on the VPCD code.

Regards,

Andrew
  • Fri, Dec 18 2009 6:12 AM

• tkhan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,220

Hi,

I was aware of VPCD being EOL since last year, looks like this is the final nail in the coffin. I'm going to try swapping the layout and layout_flat views, if that doesn't work I'll do as Andrew suggested.

Thanks,

Tarek

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by tkhan at 15 Dec 2009 01:46 PM. Topic has 7 replies.