Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > StrmOut from Virtual Memory

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

StrmOut from Virtual Memory 

Last post Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:39 PM by Andrew Beckett. 13 replies.
Started by Yaosan 01 Dec 2009 02:53 PM. Topic has 13 replies and 4744 views
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:53 PM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 7 2009
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610
    StrmOut from Virtual Memory Reply

I would like to make some modifications to my cellview in scratch view mode and stream that out directly from virtual memory. Is there a way for me to do it using SKILL i.e. without using the GUI (File > Export > Stream...)?

Thanks in advance!

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:58 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,593
    • Points 16,035
    Re: StrmOut from Virtual Memory Reply

Hi Yaosan,

I believe that the IC613 version and later can Stream Out from virtual memory, but I don't think this option is available for the IC5141 version.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lawrence.

Filed under:
  • Tue, Dec 1 2009 3:09 PM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610

Hi Lawrence,

Yes I'm using IC613, in the XStreamOut GUI there are 2 ways to StrmOut my design: StrmOut From Disk and StrmOut From Virtual Memory.

My first question would be what streamout command, with what switches, do I need to put in the GUI's command textbox when I'm using the StrmOut From Virtual Memory option.

The 2nd question is how can I do the StrmOut From Virtual Memory without using GUI. Is there a way to dump out my scratch cellview and somehow get strmout to pick them up?

• Post Points: 35
  • Tue, Dec 1 2009 6:24 PM

• kbhow
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, May 7 2009
    • Penang, Pulau Pinang
    • Posts 120
    • Points 2,045

Hi Yaosan,

Can you check for me wheather you have the wrapper in your local bin. Just open a terminal, and type command - which strmin

How

• Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Dec 2 2009 5:02 AM

Hi Yaosan,

In IC614, this is easier. Streaming out from virtual memory can be properly done from the GUI without needing to type in a command line, and there's also SKILL support. You can do:

xstSetField("library" "mylib")
    xstSetField("topCell" "mycell")
    xstSetField("strmFile" "mycell.gds")
    xstSetField("virtualMemory" "true")
    xstOutDoTranslate()

Note the documentation for xstOutDoTranslate leaves a little to be desired - I've pushed for this to be fixed (I requested the ability to do this from SKILL, but it seems the documentation has not been done properly).

In IC613, you need to fill in the field on the form with the same command line arguments you would give to the strmout command from the command line. e.g. "strmout -help". You could enter:

strmout -library mylib -topCell mycell -strmFile mycell.gds

in the field.

There's no public SKILL function in IC613 to do the stream out from memory (you'll need to move to IC614 for that).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 35
  • Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:53 AM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610

Hi How, thanks for the reply, but I don't think using wrapper or not is making a difference here.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I already suspected there's no way to do the strmout from virtual memory using SKILL in IC613. It's good to know the feature is coming in IC614, for now I guess my only option is to copy my cellview to a new view, make the changes I need then do the streamout. I could also make changes to my existing cellview and revert the changes after the streamout is done.

Thank you for all the feedbacks!

• Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:14 AM

I could potentially tell you the private SKILL function to do this in IC613, but I don't want to do that because the private function no longer exists in IC614 now that the interface has changed - so it's not really a good idea to tell you, because your code would break as soon as you went to IC614.

Could you move to IC614? It's released now...

Regards,

Andrew.

• Wed, Dec 2 2009 1:41 PM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610

Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure when we're moving to IC614 but if it's already released then it probably won't be long before we can start using it.

I have another question that are slightly unrelated. What is the proper way of working in scratch view mode? Should I create a new view in scratch mode and copy over the object one by one before I start doing the modification I need? This seems to be quite troublesome with all the new blockages, vias and other OA objects listed under different property of cellviews.

I tried opening an existing, opened cellview in scratch mode, hoping it will be a new copy i.e. with new dbID that exists only in memory, but somehow it shares the same cellview ID as the original opened cellview. I also tried to use dbCopyCellView() but it won't let me copy to the scratch view unless I specify the overwrite flag, which will write the scratch view to disk, defeating the purpose of having one in the first place.

• Wed, Dec 2 2009 3:50 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,593
    • Points 16,035

Hi Yaosan,

I'd recommend starting a new thread for a new unrelated question such as this.

In short, scratch mode is handled differently in IC61x than it is in IC51 and earlier releases. In both releases a scratch cellview cannot be saved.  If I remember correctly for IC61x, a scratch cellview is obtained by opening a read-only cellview and making it writeable - changes can be made but not saved, essentially what scratch mode means.

There is sure to be a lot more discussion on this, so please start a new thread.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Mon, Feb 8 2010 8:51 PM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610

Hi Andrew,

Is the "virtualMemory" key only supported when I call the new xstOutDoTranslate() function introduced in IC614? I would like to use the command line "strmout" function and add this key to my template file if that is possible. That's what I was using before IC614, and I would rather not to switch entirely to the new xsSetField approach to be backward compatible.

• Mon, Feb 8 2010 9:10 PM

Yaosan,

If you're running strmout from the command line (I assume you mean the UNIX command line), then this setting is irrelevant because it is being run in a separate process and so will not read Virtuoso's virtual memory. This only makes sense when run from virtuoso itself.

So as such, the key only makes sense in IC614, and even then only when you're doing the streamout within Virtuoso itself.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Tue, Feb 9 2010 8:43 PM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610

Hi Andrew,

You're right, thanks for the reply. Now I manage to stream out my design from the virtual memory, but once the gds is done, a dialog box will pop up showing how many errors and warnings are found and prompt user if they want to look at the log file. Is there a way to prevent this dialog box from showing up?

The reason for this is that I need to do some post processing once the gds is done but my script cannot continue until the user interacts with this dialog box by clicking "Yes" or "No".

• Sat, Feb 13 2010 12:42 AM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610

Sorry for bumping this post but I would like to know if there's any way to turn off the dialog box that pops up after the streamout is done, which stops the flow of my script. To get around this, I was thinking I could use hiRegTimer() to close this dialog box automatically but I couldn't find the handle (symbol name) for it.

Any idea will be appreciated, I really hope there's a way to get this done otherwise the use of this streamout from memory feature will be very limited.

Filed under:
  • Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:39 PM

I don't think this is possible, because it's not a SKILL dialog box. I think an enhancement request to provide a template option (or similar) to control whether the dialog box is displayed or not would be a sensible idea - so you'll need to contact Customer Support to ask for this.

Regards,

Andrew.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Yaosan at 01 Dec 2009 02:53 PM. Topic has 13 replies.