Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > Auto contact SKILL function

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Auto contact SKILL function 

Last post Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:49 AM by Yaosan. 6 replies.
Started by Yaosan 16 Nov 2009 03:03 PM. Topic has 6 replies and 5578 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Nov 16 2009 3:03 PM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 7 2009
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610
    Auto contact SKILL function Reply

Can someone please point me to the SKILL function used to invoke the auto contact feature (i.e. create via -> auto) in Virtuoso? I would like to use this function to automatically insert vias instead of doing it by manually clicking where I want the auto via to appear.

If there is no such public SKILL function available (any idea why?), can someone please suggest how should I go about coding such a function myself. I'm thinking of using dbLayerAnd, dbGetOverlap etc. to find the intersection area, but I'm not sure if I can traverse the hierarchy and get the shapes and net underneath the intersection area.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    • Post Points: 35
  • Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:38 AM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,587
    • Points 15,915
    Re: Auto contact SKILL function Reply

Hi Yaosan,

First, I will assume that you are talking about version IC61x, since the menu you described was "Create Via" and not Create Contact. In IC61 (based on the Open Access database), vias are objects as opposed to instances (as they were in IC5141 and earlier), so you would use the dbCreateVia() SKILL function to create the via.  Yes, you would probably want to use the dbGetOverlaps() function to find the appropriate overlapping connectivity layers, perhaps in conjunction with the techFindViaSpec() function to find the via definitions that could be used.  I'm not sure if there are any solutions, but you might search for leCreateContact() and the dbCreateVia() functions as starting points.

I hope that this helps you.

Regards,

Lawrence.

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Nov 17 2009 6:46 AM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,587
    • Points 15,915

Hi again Yaosan,

I just searched and found Solution 11185634

Additionally there is a solution which uses dbGetOverlaps which may help: Solution 11304230

Hopefully this will help you.

Regards,

Lawrence.

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:11 AM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610

Thanks Lawrence, that certainly helps a lot! The first solution uses leLayerAnd which only works with shapes within the same level. Thankfully, the 2nd solution you pointed out should allow me to traverse the hierarchy and bring some of the shapes to top level for manipulation. I'll give them a try later on and report if I have any success with it.

Thank you!

• Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:23 AM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610

btw, I think the 2nd solution are only able to bring bBox to the top level, not the actual shapes. Is flattening the design my only option to bring the actual shape to top level? And if I do flatten, the net info will be lost, no?

Well, I'm not sure if this can done, but I'll see how far I can get...

• Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:34 AM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,587
    • Points 15,915

Hi Yaosan,

Yes, the code just transforms the bounding box, not the shapes themselves. If I have understood your problem correctly, you are wanting to create a via at the intersection of two appropriately overlapping shapes in the layout, whether these shapes are present at level 0, or at other levels.  Perhaps I am oversimplifying this, but I would have thought that the layers and the dimensions of the overlap is what is important (and not the net information?).  You might be able to copy the shapes or Yank and Paste the section of interest to a "scratch" cellview, i.e. one that is in virtual memory only and not save-able, for further processing.  By the way, in addition to the leLayer.* SKILL functions, there are also dbLayer.* functions, such as dbLayerAnd() which accept shapes for their input, this might be very useful to you.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Tue, Nov 17 2009 8:49 AM

• Yaosan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 35
    • Points 610

Hi Lawrence,

Yes, you are right about the requirement to drop vias between 2 overlapping shapes, I do not need to know the net in order for the vias to be created. However, I would like to automate some of the via dropping without user manually clicking on those intersecting areas, and only through net connectivity will the code be able to know where to drop these vias.

Of course, making a simplified via dropping function that traverse hierarchy is the first step i.e. ignore net connectivity. After that I'll see if I can extend this function to account for net connectivity.

Thanks for your feedback, working in "scratch" cellview is definitely the way to go if I do flatten or yank the design.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Yaosan at 16 Nov 2009 03:03 PM. Topic has 6 replies.