Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Opening a 6.1 schematic in ver. 5.1.41

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Opening a 6.1 schematic in ver. 5.1.41 

Last post Thu, Sep 17 2009 4:38 PM by mk123. 7 replies.
Started by mk123 16 Sep 2009 09:17 AM. Topic has 7 replies and 5344 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Sep 16 2009 9:17 AM

• mk123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 16 2009
    • Posts 20
    • Points 325
    Opening a 6.1 schematic in ver. 5.1.41 Reply

Hi, 

I have some schematics in the OA version 6.1 and I need to read them in the earlier Cadence version of 5.1.41. Is there a way to do this? Copying them and opening them didn't work as the way schematics are saved in 6.1 is different. Is there a script to do the conversion?

Thanks,

~mk123

Filed under: ,
    • Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Sep 16 2009 10:04 AM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 19 2008
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,598
    • Points 16,075
    Re: Opening a 6.1 schematic in ver. 5.1.41 Reply

Hi,

There are two approaches that I can think of:

1) Use oa2cdb to migrate the design database back to CDB, obviously you will lose any OA-specific features, but this may not be such an issue for a schematic.

2) Use dbWriteSkill() to output the schematic design in IC61x and then try to load this in IC5141, you will want to give the release appropriately for the IC5141 version for the t_release argument (not sure how this needs to be set, my guess is "5.1"):

dbWriteSkill(
      d_cellViewId
      t_fileName
      t_mode
      t_release
      [g_conn ]
      [ g_ref ]
      [ g_lppString ]
     )

Good luck whichever method you choose.

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Thu, Sep 17 2009 10:35 AM

• mk123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 20
    • Points 325

Thanks, Lawrence!

I am trying to use oa2cdb. I suppose oa2cdb converts  OA 2.2 to cdb as it looks for lib.defs file. The library I am trying to convert is still defined in a cds.lib file so I assume this is OA 2.0.

What can be done in this case?

Regards, 

Mandar

Filed under:
  • Thu, Sep 17 2009 12:17 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,598
    • Points 16,075

Hi Mandar,

Actually IC61x can use both cds.lib and lib.defs - if you have both then please keep them in sync.  I believe that the cds.lib file is the recommended format, but I thought that the cdsLibEditor could create a lib.defs if one does not already exist?

The command-line help for oa2cdb states that -cdslibpath is the path to a lib.defs file, but have you tried a cds.lib file just in case it is supported also?

Best regards,

Lawrence.

• Thu, Sep 17 2009 12:29 PM

• mk123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 20
    • Points 325

Hi Lawrence,

IC61x does open the existing design which has a cds.lib file so yes, what you say is true. However, the -cdslibpath option doesn't support cds.lib. There may be some env variable that can be changed to disable this. I tried creating my own lib.defs file and it seems to get to the next step. I need to define tech libraries referenced by the design in the lib.defs file as well. The syntax for the lib.defs file seems to be the same as that of cds.lib. Please let me know if its otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Mandar

Filed under: ,
  • Thu, Sep 17 2009 12:43 PM

• skillUser
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 2,598
    • Points 16,075

Hi Mandar,

The basic syntax is similar (I understand that cds.lib files can contain more and do more), here's an example (of a lib.defs library entry):

DEFINE pcells /home/user/data/libraries/pcells
    ASSIGN pcells libMode shared

I'm not a guru on the lib.defs contents, but the above should be enough to enable a translation I hope,

Regards,

Lawrence.

• Thu, Sep 17 2009 3:23 PM

Easiest way (as alluded to by Lawrence earlier) is to use "cdsLibEditor" in batch mode to generate the lib.defs. I'm slightly surprised oa2cdb requires a lib.defs, and haven't tested it to check, but if it really needs a lib.defs, run "cdsLibEditor -help" and it will tell you the arguments needed to batch create a lib.defs from your cds.lib.

Fundamentally the syntax is a subset of cds.lib - it doesn't support SOFTINCLUDE or SOFTDEFINE (or UNDEFINE, I think). Also some of the more esoteric stuff is not supported. So easiest to use the batch command.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Sep 17 2009 4:38 PM

• mk123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 20
    • Points 325

Thanks Andrew and Lawrence!

I did generate the lib.defs file and could convert the schematics successfully. The target directory however, also needs to have a cds.lib ( in this case, as I am converting to 5.1.41) with all the libraries referred by the database in lib.defs but for cdb. I had to create cds.lib and define libraries manually.This wasn't very clear from the help files.

Thanks again!

Mandar

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by mk123 at 16 Sep 2009 09:17 AM. Topic has 7 replies.